Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First Pork Butt...

MopMop Posts: 496
edited 12:46AM in EggHead Forum
I`m going to do my first pork butt in the green cooker for tomorrow..
We have some friends coming over tomorrow night for a visit and then Saturday were haveing a bit of an open house for neighbors.....I was kind of hopeing on killing two birds with one stone and doing up a large butt for both visits!!!!!...[p]Can you help me with cooker temps and such...
I`m going to pull it, not slice it so I`m heading for a 200º internal temp......I would like to do an overnight cook to be honest with you, then make up some of that "Vaunted Vinigar Sauce" from Smoke and Spice..
I have used it before....strong as hell but good...
Any help would be great...Direct or indirect, now that I have them fancy new firebricks, Thanks to Santa Earl....[p]Roger!

·

Comments

• GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    Mop, I generally use a dome temp of 215 sliding to about 250 degrees as the cook progresses - I also count on about 18 hours to hit the 200 degrees mark - it doesn't seem to make much difference whether the butt is small or large, one butt or two - about 18 hours - if it gets done early, it reheats great in the microwave - place in plastic bag and nuke at 30% power for about 5 miutes. [p]Happy New Year and Good luck!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
    ·
  • MopMop Posts: 496
    Gfw, Super!!!!
    thanks you sir!!!!![p]Roger!

·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,342
    Mop,
    Indirect over drip pan at 250 dome. Use the bricks to elevate second grate over drip pan. I don't use firebricks under the drip pan with lo/slo stuff, unless I want to save drippings. Those plateaus can be long, so allow at least 2 hours/pound. [p]Have fun and keep us posted.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • Carl TCarl T Posts: 179
    Mop,[p]I always do butts in my large indirect with the firebrick set up recommended by Tim M. Two bricks flat with an upright brick on both sides of the flats that support the upper grid that holds the butts. I place a drip collector I shape out of 18" HD foil on top of the flats between the two upright bricks. The foil is much cheaper and easier during cleanup that actual drip pans. I cook at 230 to 250 degrees until the plateau is passed. After the meat gets to 180 degrees, I bump up the temp to about 275 and finish off the butts until an internal temp of 200. I really enjoy the overnight cooks because of the way the egg maintains temps. I still feel guilty that I am not outside tending the fire every 45 minutes.[p]Carl T
    ·
    Hey Guys, I don`t have a second grate....How bout I use three flat bricks with drip pan on the bricks with the inverted V Rack in the drip pan?????/[p]Will that do?
    ROger!

·
    Mop,
    That'll work. Firebricks optional.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    ·
    Nature Boy,What?, your thinking just the vrack in the pan right on the grate?

·
    Mop,
    I was thinkin more like the v-rack in the drip pan. Just as long as it is not basking in the juices!
    As long as it is protected from the direct heat of the coals, it should work great.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    ·
  • Re-read your post. Yeah, you said it![p]Sorry
    ·
    NB,no sweat, Thanks.....

·