Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ sauce poll. I need to branch out some

Options
orion11
orion11 Posts: 140
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

BBQIslandassembly002.jpg[p]

So, what does everyone use for sauce, particularly for pulled pork and ribs? I am pretty much stuck on KC Masterpiece and would like to branch out some. Years ago I had some vinegar based sauces in the south, here in Phoenix it is pretty much sweet, KC like sauces everyone uses. I would like to offer a variety to guests, especially for pulled pork, just to round out the experience some. I'm a new guy so any and all "secret reciepes" would be put to use with Zeal!!

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    orion11, Three brands, Scott's, George's, and Charlie Mill's. Vinegar based NC sauce.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    orion11,
    here's a home made one that really rocks!!! I've been making it for 5 years now and it is ever bit as good as this fellow said. I keep it on hand all the time.

[ul][li]J.K's Wild boar Soul BBQ Sauce: a real KEEPER[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    orion11, I like a mustard based sauce. This one from 'Chef and the Fatman' is pretty good:
    Chef and The Fat Man Mustard BBQ Sauce
    Ingredients
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1 cup yellow mustard
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar (use white balsamic)
    1/3 cup brown sugar (us elight brown)
    2 Tbs butter
    1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
    1 Tbs lemon juice
    1 tsp cayenne (more if you want a better kick) [p]Procedure
    1 Mix all ingredients together and simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes.
    2 This should make enough for a normal (cheap plastic squeeze bottle and a 1/3rd).
    3 Enjoy and have fun!

Yield: 2 cups
    Source: by Chef and The Fat Man (www.chefandthefatman.com) 06/21/03

[p]

• tmEGGer
    tmEGGer Posts: 92
    Options
    orion11,[p]I really like Bone Suckin' Sauce. Why?
    1. It's delicious.
    2. It's thin/runny. I think thick sauce on pulled pork overpowers the pork and takes away from the great texture.
    3. It holds good moisture in pulled pork.
    4. It does not contain the ingredients that some in my family are allergic too, unlike many sauces.[p]

• Wahooegger
    Wahooegger Posts: 95
    Options
    RRP,
    I'll second RRP on this one. This sauce is incredible - good on absolutely everything.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    orion11,
    honestly, i don't think you can buy a better sauce than any you make at home.
    pick a recipe, any one.[p]follow the recipes a few times, vary the amounts to taste.
    pretty soon you'll be mixing them up by feel, and steering it in whatever direction suits you at that moment.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Unknown
    Options
    RRP,[p]Would you say this has a vinegar taste or sweet taste?[p]howard
  • Unknown
    Options
    orion11,[p]I tend to like Gates for pulled pork as its vinegar based. Something sweet for ribs and pulled beef such as Sticky Fingers, Sweet Baby Rays or Famous Dave's[p]Howard

• Wahooegger
    Wahooegger Posts: 95
    Options
    Howard,
    It's definitely more on the sweet side - but it's the perfect combination of sweet, heat and smoke. It's fantastic with Clay's pulled beef.

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    orion11,[p]
    Famous Daves BBQ has some great vineger mustard sauce that is my current favorite for pulled pork. You can either get it at their resturant if you have one near you, or order it online.[p]Also have not tried but heard good things about Blues hog. I have a jar of Ken's stones sauce waiting to be tried, but need some buddies that like a littel spice as most of my family are not too appriciative of anything spicy.[p]

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    orion11,
    Heres my take after several years,
    for home made sauce;[p]1. For pulled pork I like the spicy vinegar based style sauce such as Elder Ward's posted PP sauce recipe.
    2. For pork Ribs I like the Ugly Brother's Chipotle BBQ sauce, (its posted on their website). Its very good on ribs and I've never had a "complaint" on it being too spicy, but the spiceyness was noted, as they kept on eating away. ;)[p]For 'Store Bought', I agree with the Bone Suckin' sauces. They have a regular and a "hot and spicy" version and you can buy them at any Cracker Barrel restaurant. Its a sweet/spicy red sauce that really fits pork ribs. I haven't tried it on any beef.[p]HTH,
    Ron.[p]p.s. With that said, I now plan on trying the sauce recipe recommended by RRP. :)

• penfresh
    penfresh Posts: 103
    Options
    orion11,[p]what a beautiful Golden. I have a 16 year old Golden who was a Hurricane Andrew rescue. No better pup in the world. Love the disposition. Mr. Bear is full of tumors, has bladder stones and arthritis but he is still a loving, sweet gentleman.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    IMG_0922.jpg
    <p />Master Mason,
    last night I posted the recipe thread for the do-it-youself Wild Boar sauce, but as for the store bought variety I'm nuts over Blues Hog Sauce. You gotta try it and you'll be won over.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • orion11
    orion11 Posts: 140
    Options
    sigmore,
    Thank you all for your input. I love to experiment and this will sure give me alot of ammunition!!
    Happy and Safe 4th to all and everyone thank a Veteran!!

• BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Options
    orion11,[p]I would make the comment that your dog looks smarter than at least half the people I deal with, but I don't want to insult the dog. Probably much higher.
  • War Eggl
    War Eggl Posts: 11
    Options
    orion11,[p]My favorite "off the shelf" sauce is Big Bob Gibson's Championship Red Sauce with Habanero. Wonderful taste with just a hint of "kick". Taste this and you'll see why Dr. BBQ says Big Bob Gibson's is his #2 favorite BBQ restaurant (in his first book). If you look at the link also notice the white sauce which is fairly unique to north Alabama and great on chicken.
    [ul][li]http://www.bigbobgibson.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=BBGB[/ul]