Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Muffaletta Pizza, first

Options
Tony
Tony Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BGEphotos013.jpg
<p />Hey guys, For months I've been reading about cooking pizza on the egg. I've been wanting to try one but never bought a pizza stone until a few days ago. I bought a 15 1/2 inch stone. I set it up with the plate setter legs down and the pizza stone on top with three of the little green feet for seperation. I filled the firebox about 3/4 full and stabized the temp at 520 degrees. Cooked it for 8 minutes.[p]It tasted great![p]I bought this fresh made muffaletta pizza from this awesome little Italian deli in my neighborhood. In case you don't know what a muffaletta is it's Italian olive salad, salami, ham, and proveloni (sp) cheese, sprinkled with Romano.[p]Here is a picture of the finished pie:

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Tiger Tony,
    Man! That's great! I haven't had a muffaletta since I lived in New Orleans. Used to love the ones from Central Grocery. That and a beer, and you're good to go.

• Unknown
    Options
    Your pizza looks delicious. I don't have an egg but am thinking of getting one so I can grill when my daughters,son in laws and grandkids come to visit. I'm sure I would find a lot of things to try even for me.
    Have a good time grilling.
  • BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Options
    Tiger Tony,[p]That looks great. Makes me think back to the Central Grocery as well. Where did you get the Pizza if I may ask?
    I come downtown enough that I may have to make a diversion.

• chmoo
    chmoo Posts: 38
    Options
    Tiger Tony,[p]What?!? No mortadella?!? ;-)[p]Great looking pie.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Tiger Tony,
    I was gonna ask if there were any other SE Louisiana BGE owners on the forum. Just got a XL bge egg last month. Did four racks of Baby back ribs yesterday and planning on chops kabobs and chicken thighs today. Will have to try the muffaletta pizza. Nor Joe imports in old metairie has great cheeses and olive salad and deli meats ( including mortadella) to make your own.

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Tiger Tony,[p]Looks great. And that's the first time I've ever seen someone use the green feet inside the Egg - cool idea!
  • Tony
    Options
    BOBF,
    I bought the pie at "World Deli" / "Casa Di Palermo" The sign says World Deli but everyone I know calls it Casa Di Palermo. [p]They are located on Clearview Pky in the 4500 block, right off the corner of Clearview and West Esplanade next to the Shell station.[p]It's really a great little Italian deli.
    They make their own pies and sell them uncooked fresh or you can buy them frozen. They are very good, highly recommend. They all so make a great roast beef po-boy and the best meatball sandwich around.

• BOBF
    Options
    Tiger Tony,
    Thanks - I will probably go by there in the next week or so.

• Tony
    Options
    CeeJay,[p]I bet there is a few of us Louisiana boy's with BGE on this forum. We should get a head count :) and see who survived the hurricane and flood. We flooded, lived in a FEMA trailer for 8 months and are about 90% back in our house. I cooked on the BGE every night before we had a kitchen.[p]Nor Joe's is good, I love their stuffed olives. I haven't been there since Katrina but every year I look forward to buying the ingredience to make Sicilian Milanise for St. Joseph Day. Nor Joe's always has exactly what we need. [p]

• eggnerd
    eggnerd Posts: 64
    Options
    MMMMmmmmm.... That looks Good![p]And a creative idea too, I've never seen a Muffaletta Pizza before. Have too stick that into the 2do-Q.[p]EggNerd

• Tony
    Options
    BOBF,
    When you're in the neighborhood you should check out Basil's Hardware ther are only 8 blocks away from The World Deli. They sell BGE and all the BGE accessories, they also have a great slection of lump BGE, Cowboy and Ozark Oak.
    Basils is located on Trancontental right off West Esplanade on the lake side of West Esplanade.

• BOBF
    Options
    Tiger Tony,[p]I have wanted a local source for Ozark Oak after using it at Bull Shoals this spring. It printed off your posts and it looks like I may as well drive the pickup down and make a day of it. I was thinking about adding a medium BGE. This is getting to be an obsession.
  • Tony
    Options
    BOBF,
    I was in Basil's on Friday and they had at least ten bags of Ozark Oak on the shelf. I bought two 10 lb. bags $9.99 each. Nice people to do business with, that's where I bought my egg.
    NOTE* they are closed on Monday.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Haggis,
    I was thinking the same thing. My last pizza cook was with just the platsetter and pizza stone and I got toasted crusts. I have almost always used a truckload of firebricks and the stone before. I'm thinking those feet and the air buffer might be a good thing.