Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size dutch oven for a large?

Options
hayhonker
hayhonker Posts: 576
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's time to delve into chili fixin (need to perfect a recipe before football season) and I'm wondering what size dutch oven to get.
Lodge has 4, 5, 7, or 9 quart models. I'm thinking a 5 quart will make a gallon of chili and leave room on the grate for some ABTs.
Is anyone using the 7 quart size? Thanks!

Comments

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    hayhonker,
    I have a 4 quart, Jason but I think a 5 or even 7 would fit well on a large. Having said that, I don't really care to make my chili in a cast iron pot. The acid from the tomatoes interacts with the iron and gives the chili a bitter taste in my opinion. I'm going to hunker down now and await the wrath of God for saying that....[p]Kelly (cowering) Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    i dont like that metalic taste from the tomatoes either. i cook mine in an enameled lecrueset or a bean pot, but not the caste iron. the cast iron is good for other things like a good gravy gumbo, pea soup etc. that being said, mine is a size 12 deep and fits the large. must be 7 or 8 quarts?

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CT Grillguy
    CT Grillguy Posts: 149
    Options
    hayhonker,[p]The Gratemates solution (currently only for a Small egg) has a ring that fits a Lodge 5 quart dutch oven. Rumor has it that there is one in the works for the Large BGE. So, you might want to think about getting the 5 quart if that system has any interest for you.
  • hayhonker
    Options
    fishlessman and Kelly,
    Eee I didn't know about the metallic taste potential. Thanks for informing me. OK maybe stainless is the way to go for chili and a 5 quart for stews and pot roasts and what-not.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    hayhonker,
    now to give you another dimension you need to decide on. Are you just getting a regular Dutch oven with the flat bottom or the camp style which has three legs on it? Personally I have both styles and iffin I'm egging in conjunction with my plate sitter I prefer using the camp style as the heat and air is circulated clear around and is not as intense, but if direct then the common Dutch oven is best. BTW whatever you do check the price at Amazon.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    hayhonker,
    if i didnt already have a lecruesett, i would be tempted to buy one of these from here. i cant see that you could go wrong and you would have the even heat that cast iron offers

[ul][li]enameled cast iron[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • hayhonker
    Options
    RRP,
    I'm going to need more storage space...It's getting harder to hide things from the missus. She found my thermapen last week. "What's this?". DOH! Thanks for more to think about.

• hayhonker
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Someone commented yesterday about how 'killing time' at work used to mean 10 minutes at the water cooler and now it means watching the forum for 7 1/2 hours. So true!
    That's a pretty convincing webpage. Even says suitable for ceramic.
    Must...avoid...temptation...[p]...until payday :)

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    hayhonker,
    that was me. get back to work.
    (i just, well, was checking in...)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    PB060002.JPG
    <p />fishlessman,
    I've been vindicated! Tried for two years to get a decent pot of chili out of my cast iron dutch oven and finally I had a "Duh" moment when the light bulb went on...[p]Egged pot roast, on the other hand, is wonderful! Another fan of Sportsmens Guide I see.[p]Kelly (no longer cowering) Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    I have a 12 quart that I use when makin a large batch of something. I just purchased a 2 quart dutchoven at BassPro. I've been using it to cook side dishes on my egg when I'm cooking other things. I've steamed vegetables, baked beans and cobbler while letting other things cook on my egg. I hav an XL so finding space for it on my egg is not a problem
  • Laker
    Laker Posts: 110
    Options
    I have a Lodge, size 12 with flat bottom and it fits great on my large. Use for chili, also Clay's Beef BBQ does great.