Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

An overlooked fact for newbie and veteran alike!!!!!

Options
EGGlomaniac
EGGlomaniac Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i've really been checking out alot of ceramic cooking web sites lately and i've noticed many mention making sure your dome temp guage is accurate.
to be honest, i never really thought twice about this (dumb, i know), and since i've had my egg since 96 i thought tonight was the night.
i took the guage off, cleaned it, checked the barometric pressure and found that the boiling point of water was around 211 deg. held the guage in water till it boiled with a wrench and found it was OVER 20 deg. wrong!!!!!!!! lower than the correct temp. i then took a vice grip and turned the rear screw until the temp was dialed in. this can definitely make a difference in your dishes being just incredible to "the best i've ever tasted".
we should all check the guage, at least, once a year. i know i will for now on.

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    EGGlomaniac,
    Eggcellent point... the correct temperature is critical to many foods cooked on the Egg. I check mine at least six times a year and sometimes just before doing a special meal. It doesn't take long and can be the difference in success and failure. Plus, it helps to be consistent when following recipes or preparing repeat meals.[p]Thanks for reminding everyone.[p]Spring "Right On The Money" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    EGGlomaniac,
    Good point. Also note that you need to know your altitude as well as the current barometric pressure in order to determine the boiling point of water. The BP is adjusted to sea level by all reporting stations and thus the calculation of BP has to take this into account. Denver has never seen an ACTUAL barometric pressure of 30 inches...[p]I have a calculator on my Ceramic FAQ that uses both numbers to compute boiling point:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Calibrating a Thermometer[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • randomegger
    randomegger Posts: 194
    Options
    EGGlomaniac,[p]I religiously check my thermometer every time I cook by comparing what it reads to what the ambient temperature is outside. For instance, the thermometer on my large probably reads close to 100 degrees as a I type this. So, as I cook, I factor this in to the reading it gives.[p]I'm a low and slow technology kind of guy.[p]RE

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    EGGlomaniac,[p]There is a rather EGGcellent (if I do say so myself) boiling point calculator on the www.biggreenegg.net site that WMK and myself have written. It takes into account altitude and barometric pressure. All the fields can be individually entered in either metric or english units (WAY COOL!) and the results can be converted to deg C or deg F. The calculator can be found under the COOKBOOK menu on the Main Menu. CHECK IT OUT!

[ul][li]Boiling Point Calculator[/ul]