Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grate.....pro/con

Options
CT Grillguy
CT Grillguy Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'd be interested in some Pro/Con discussion of the Cast Iron Cooking Grate. What makes it worth getting? Lord knows, I'm into getting everything on the planet for my Egg, but I want to know why you would want this over the "stock" cooking grate.

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    CT Grillguy, For the sear!! Stock grate cools too fast when the object being cooked hits it.

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    CT Grillguy, I have one and the grill marks are fantastic don't know whether it helps taste but sure looks nice

• Unknown
    Options
    CT Grillguy,[p] Sure ... for 'marking' steaks and other meats, you need the mass and thermal inertia of the cast iron to do a better job.[p] I chose mine because I did not want to use my porcelain grid for repeated long cooks (12+ hours) and buying a second porcelain grid seemed like a lesser choice. One alternative I did consider seriously was a 24" x 48" piece of 6 gauge expanded metal. Cost is $30., I get two full-size grates from it, but the edges are razor sharp (after cutting) and very clumsy to handle. [p]Tom B (EggSport)[p]
    [p]

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    CT Grillguy,
    I've had the cast iron grill for a couple of years now and I've only used the old grill once or twice for making an additional raised grill. If you flip it over you have a wider cook area. I believe the heat is more evenly distributed as well with the cast iron. The biggest drawback is the weight. A little more care is needed when lifting it out when adding smoking wood or more lump should you need to during the cook. I love mine and when it gets a little gummy I just jack up the temp to turbo and it self cleans. No need to season it either.
    You;ll enjoy it when you get it I assure you. Good luck.

• CT Grillguy
    CT Grillguy Posts: 149
    Options
    Sundown,[p]Thanks to everyone. Good points. I'm a big cast iron fan, so I think I simply must have one! [p]Now, where can I get one. I don't see it listed on the BGE site. Anyone have a link?
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    CT Grillguy,
    I love the grill marks, at least I did until it broke in four places... guess it doesn't take the heat as well as the steel one. [p] The head office replaced it totally free of charge.... but I'm being careful with this one... no temps over 700º with the cast iron.[p]Thermal shock is a killer!

• Carolina Caniac
    Options
    CT Grillguy,[p]I ordered mine from Outdoor home, along with a few other goodies. Prices were decent, but don't be in a hurry, as they took a good week before even shipping my order. Then again, the whole point of outdoor cooking (in my mind) is to quit being in a hurry...[p]The mothership would likely have them, as well- and would probably be a lot quicker, if perhaps a bit more expensive.
    [ul][li]Cast Iron Grate[/ul]