Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

boston butts (help)

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,
I'm pretty much a rookie when it comes to smoking these, I have 2 butts which I cut in half, both weigh about 8lbs. My basic concern is
the time. I need to have it ready by about 2pm tommorrow, and I'm serving about 15 folks and I don't want to screw this up. I generally use charcoal, but I also have about 6lbs. of hickory chunks. So any and all advice that will get me off on the right foot will be much appreciated. Thanks Chris

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Chris Morgan,[p]Not sure what you meant by cutting the butt in half. Could it be that you have a whole shoulder and cut it into it's two halves which are called the butt and the picnic??[p]Lets assume you have that since you don't want to split a butt in half before cooking it. At 2.5hr per lb that should take about 20 hrs at 225-250 deg (8 x 2.5). Try rubbing them with French's yellow mustard - it will form a nice crust and it looses all mustard taste when the vinegar evaporates. You have a 2-3 year supply of hickory if you have 6 lbs of it (IMHO). I would use 2 chunks this time and maybe 3 if you like it smokier.[p]Tim
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    20001105053900.jpg
    <p />Chris Morgan, if you have one of each, they will look something like the picture. Tim M gives great advice - I generally plan on 18-20 hours. Pulled pork arrives at about 200 degrees internal or when it passes the fork test. The fork test is simply when you can stick in the fork, twist it, and know that it's ready to pull - Good Luck! :~}

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]