Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My big butt

Options
DobieDad
DobieDad Posts: 502
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last Friday I started the largest pork shoulder I have ever cooked, 11.75 lbs.[p]It cooked under the control of a Guru for 15 hours. I pulled it at 195 and wonderfully fork tender.[p]I wrapped it and placed it in a cooler. I thought it would take longer, so it came off early and stayed in the cooler for about 7 hours.[p]It was plenty hot when we pulled it. Our guests, my wife's cousins from Holland, had never had American BBQ, and as they helped pull, they helped themselves to bits of bark and bits of meat they called 'sweet and silky smooth'.[p]It was the best butt I have ever cooked.[p]My question goes to those who have been cookin' butts since Moses was knee-high: Did I just get a good piece of meat, or do larger butts produce better PP?[p]Just curious.[p]And thanks for your thoughts.[p]BTW, we sent them on their way in their RV touring the US loaded with FoodSaver packs of the rest of the butt, frozen spares we cooked last week, , salmon we smoked last season, meat loaf we smoked the week before . . . well, you get the idea. They were pretty impressed by the food that came off our Egg, and need not stop again at a fast food restaurant. They could not get enough ABTs! (and of course, loved the name!).[p]DD

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    b0249bcd.jpg
    <p />DobieDad,[p]Not sure if "larger is better" is a steadfast rule, the ones I buy are usually in the 8/9 pound range. But the longer rested ones always give me better texture than the short rested ones. If there is a chance my bark will get too dark I will foil around 185° or so and finish in the foil. These are "silky" also. [p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]So a long rest produces better meat. That actually works better when entertaining, freeing up me, the Egg, or both for other tasks.[p]Thanks![p]DD