Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Surprisingly good results in Crestwood, KY!

EggtuaryEggtuary Posts: 400
edited 1:21AM in EggHead Forum
I meant to write earlier, but I've been really worn out. I only got about an hour sleep on Friday night, but my first contest was still an absolute blast. We met some great people, from teams like Ulcer Acres, Pig Pak, Lotta Bull, Bar-B-Quau, Governor's. It was a great little competition with 25 teams.[p]For our first contest, I was really surprised that we got anything, much less a 5th in brisket, 9th in chicken, 10th in pork and 7th overall! I was just in shock. I'm now hooked on this BBQ circuit thing, although we'll probably be very limited for the next few years, since our boys are just 8 and 2... and my wife really would like to add one with pigtails to our rowdy bunch...[p]Anyway, I just wanted to send out a big thank you to the people on this forum. You guys have been incredibly helpful and patient. Not only have you answered a lot of my questions, but I've learned a lot by reading your thousands of responses to questions from other newby Eggheads. It is amazing that so many of you are so generous with your time, and in sharing your knowledge.[p]I am especially grateful to Old Dave. He and I have written back and forth quite a bit over the past few months. Without him, I'm certain I wouldn't have received a single ribbon. With what he's taught me, I have the confidence to try again, and to hopefully do even better.[p]Thanks again,
Mike
Egg and the Family Stone

·

Comments

• dhuffjrdhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Eggtuary,
    Simply outstanding! Great job Mike.[p]Dennis

·
  • RollocksRollocks Posts: 570
    Mike,

How did you convince your wife to go. I've mentioned attending a competition to my wife and have been vetoed everytime.

Rollocks
    ·
  • EggtuaryEggtuary Posts: 400
    Last year, Old Dave posted a message here saying that he was going to be in Crestwood, and would love to meet any Eggheads from the area. Crestwood is only 8 miles from my home, so it was pretty easy to convince her to go, especially since the event also had bluegrass music, rides for the kids, etc. She had a great time. In fact, she was the one who came up with the idea of us competing. Just out of nowhere (while we are at the event), she blurts out, "You know, I could totally see you doing this!"

So, since then I've been practicing the four major meats a few times, and then did two full practice cooks before the competition. I involved my wife from the beginning, tasting different recipes, and making suggestions on how to get them just right. During the full practice cooks, I had her practice making the turn-in boxes look nice.

Actually, the biggest thing had to be meeting Old Dave and the couple he was there mentoring. Randy and Marla Twyford are some of the nicest people around, and they explained how competing as a team made them a stronger couple, and really brought a lot of enjoyment to their marriage.

So, find out when a competition is going to be held close to home, try to find out ahead of time if anyone's going to be there who you could meet, and just go to check it out. Good luck!
    ·
    dhuffjr,
    Thanks, Dennis! So, when are we going to see you compete in one of these things?[p]Take care,
    Mike

·
    Eggtuary,
    I think it would be fun to do sometime. I was hoping to make it down there for the contest to wish you guys well.
    I ended up preaching at my church Saturday and Sunday so any out of town plans went south.

·
  • Eggtuary,
    WAY TO GO!!!! . .. any call to the stage is a cause for celebration. ...and what i like to do, is not think in terms so much of where we finished and who beat us, but rather, looking at the teams we placed ahead of, and when you look at the scores and see that you've placed ahead of restaurant and catering teams, and other teams that do this 30 or 40 times a year, then, WOW, you have really done well. .. .[p]again, congrats!!!.. .you're hooked now

·
  • BTGBTG Posts: 76
    Eggtuary,
    Awesome finish. I hear you did the entire contest on a single egg. Very impressive. What size egg do you have to get it all done on time and what kind of setup did you use.

·
    dhuffjr,
    Wow, I really appreciate it that you were hoping to come down to the contest. But I'm even more impressed that people would ask you to preach at church. Email me some time; I'd like to hear more about that.[p]If nothing else, we'll get to catch up at Eggtoberfest, right?

·
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    You're absolutely right. We beat one team that one a Grand Championship just last week, another team that placed 13th out of more than 400 in ribs last year, along with multiple caterers and a couple of culinary school grads. It's really mind-blowing. [p]Again, there's no way I could have done any of that without all the help of some incredible folks on this forum.

·
    btg,
    Man, word travels fast! Yes, we did it all on my Large size Big Green Egg. When they announced that we won 7th place overall, the organizer was nice enough to stop for a moment and tell the crowd that this was our very first contest. Immediately, Randy Twyford of Ulcer Acres yells out, "Yeah, and he did it all on one little Egg!!"[p]Old Dave sent me the instructions for his "Contraption", which replaces the plate setter with a large pie pan that is held below the regular grid level. That allows the lower cooking grid to be at the regular grid level, and the top grid to be about even with the top of the base. This setup seems to prevent the top level from getting too much heat reflected off the dome.

·
  • Eggtuary,
    that's very cool. .. .[p]btw. .. .i love the name "egg and the family stone". .. .very creative!!

·
  • Eggtuary,
    Congratulations, Mike, that's incredible. Do I understand correctly that you did this all on one Large Egg!?? I would love to hear the story, how you timed things out and so on. [p]Brett

·
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I've got some very creative coworkers who came up with that name. You really don't expect much creativity out of a bunch of actuaries, do you? But believe it or not, they came up with more than 30 ideas for names! The name they really wanted me to go with was "The Dork with the Pork." As you can imagine, my wife quickly vetoed that one...

·
    The Virginian,
    Yep, all on one Large Egg! I started my butt about 3 in the afternoon on the top level, then started my brisket under it around 6. I foiled both around midnight and cooked for a couple of hours, then removed both from the foil for the last part of the cook. Once they were done (by about 5 in the morning), I wrapped them in foil and placed in a preheated cooler. I kept a probe in the brisket to make sure I stayed over 140. I put the ribs on about 5:30, and the chicken beneath them at about 8:30.[p]I could have done two smaller butts, but I just cooked one 9-pounder over a 7-pound brisket. I'd like to try a bigger brisket next time, but this one was the nicest I could find (very evenly thick all across.) I did 3 racks of ribs over 11 thighs. [p]It was a lot of work, and things sure get crowded, but it can be done! It was also fun just getting so many attendees stopping by and asking about the Egg. A few folks had one but hadn't done much with it yet. Several others had been trying to talk their wives into letting them get one!

·
  • Eggtuary,[p]What is very interesting about this cook is that Mike did it with just ONE large BGE. A fellow would think that this would be a timing nightmare!! Imagine getting two pork butts, one brisket, three slabs of ribs, and 12-14 pieces of chicken done on one large Egg cooker in an overnight session. Betcha he didn't get very much sleep?[p]I am really happy for this team and think that 3 calls and a 7th overall in their first event is just great. Heck, even their ribs were only a couple of spots out of the top ten so they were really close to getting all four meats into the top ten. [p]Mike and Laura have been a real joy to work with and it has been fun providing a little bit of help on their first contest. I am very proud of them and their great finish is just the start of what I think will be a great contest team. [p]Did I mention that this cook was done on ONE, I say ONE large Egg!![p]Got a couple of pictures.[p]Mike.jpg[p]Mike3.jpg[p]May have to look close but Mike is up on the stage picking up some hardware![p]Dave[p][p][p]

·
  • egretegret Posts: 4,035
    Eggtuary,
    That's fantastic! I can't believe you did all that using only one egg! Imagine what you could do if you had two or three!! Very well done........

·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,343
    That's way cool, Mike. Congrats to you! You done any calculating on how much that 7th place is gonna cost you?? Money AND weekends?? No turnin back now, pal.
    High fives toya.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • SqueezeSqueeze Posts: 707
    Mike...[p]Congrats on your first contest. You know they do have Kids-Q events at them so your 8 year old can jump in too. Enjoy the ride![p]-Kevin
    ·
    Eggtuary,
    We will be there. I talked about bringing the kids down too but now it seems if the mother in law can get out of work for that Friday she will get to spend some quality time with the grandyunguns our two and the SILs two and we'll be bringing another couple along. Ed is Phillipino, I'm going to talk to him to see if we can't do an egged version of something he cooks along with some ideas we have.[p]

·
    Old Dave,
    You're too kind. We couldn't have done it without your many long emails, and patient responses to my many dumb questions.[p]No, I'm afraid I didn't get much sleep. Maybe an hour total. I could have had a good bit more, but the competition was right next to the train tracks, and those suckers would come through about every hour blowing their horns. Had it not been for that, I think I could have had a few more hours. Your system worked really well, and kept things from getting out of control. Thanks again!

·
    egret,
    Thanks! Yeah, now I'm wondering if I shouldn't bring another Egg. I've got just the Large and the Small right now. I'm tempted to buy Chubby's GrateMates, or build another one of Old Dave's contraptions, so I can cook indirect on my Small. That way I could have more stuff on at the same time, and maybe get a little more sleep (assuming of course that there isn't a train track right next door!)[p]I gotta admit, though, it's kind of fun being "the guy who cooks on just one Egg." It's like being "the little engine that could" or something, I guess. Plus, I had our minivan tightly packed as it was. If I bring any more equipment, my wife and I would have to drive separately. So we'll probably continue with the one Egg until we decide it's just too much work overnight.[p]Thanks again!

·
    Nature Boy,
    I sure have. A week ago, we figured this would be our only contest of the year. Now we're hoping to hit 3 more spots this year: Murray, KY; Owensboro, KY; and Madison, IN! We just gotta pester the family to help us out with baby-sitting...

·
    Squeeze,
    We thought about that, but then we'd have to pack another Egg for him. I also worry that he would get bored when he wasn't competing, and we'd have a hard time keeping him entertained.[p]My wife did bring the kids out for a little while Friday evening. When my 8-year-old saw them giving out awards for the kids contest, he said, "What are they thinking? Don't they know kids can get hurt by these things???" Keep in mind, my son has twice seen me singe my eyebrows from flashbacks...[p]The real difficulty is the 2-year-old. There's no way we could keep him occupied and contained through a whole contest. But he's awfully cute, so it might not be too hard to get people to keep him!

·
    dhuffjr,
    Oh man, that sounds fantastic. I'll have to camp out near you to try out that food![p]We're hoping to bring a taste of KY with us. We've got a pretty mean bourbon bread pudding that I'd like to share. We're not sure what else we'll cook yet, but we've played with the idea of just doing a bourbon theme the whole day. I don't know, it's just an idea so far.[p]Glad to hear you're coming. We look forward to catching up in Atlanta!

·
    Eggtuary,
    Bread Pudding?!?!!!!!!
    You can run you can hide but I will track you down for that!
    Anyone ever egged coffee??

·
  • WooDoggiesWooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Eggtuary,[p]That's pretty amazing... doing all of that cooking on one egg and getting 3 top 10 calls on your first time out. I think it took a lot of cojones to try and you showed it could be done... amazing.
    A big Congratulations to you and your wife... very nicely done![p]john

·
  • Eggtuary,

A hearty congratulations on your finish. I was at Crestwood with you but cooking the competition by myself so not much time to visit. I cooked on two WSM's but am also an Egger at home. A large egg is a little much for a one man team to drag around. Your travel set up did impress me and I think if I built something like that with pneumatic tires I could get it loaded ok. Again I cannot overstate how impressed I am by you doing the entire competition on one egg. I cooked with Old Dave in Charlestown this year (on his Backwoods) and he is indeed a wealth of information and a truly nice guy. Good luck and I will see you in Madison.

Hickory Flats
    ·
    HickoryFlats,
    I definitely remember you. I kept dumping out my grease in your bucket! We didn't get to talk much, but I really enjoyed meeting you. When you got your stage calls, I told my wife, "That's a really nice guy. We'll have to spend more time talking to him at the next competition."

My wife is very excited about the possibility of doing Madison, so I think we'll be able to make it. Look forward to seeing you there!
    ·
    WooDoggies,
    Thanks, Woo. We're still nowhere near the level of the real experts such as yourself, but we were very pleased with our results nonetheless. I see now how so many people get hooked on this. Even without a stage call, the event is a lot of fun. Great people, great food, and just a good time had by all.[p]Thanks again!

·
  • PoppasamPoppasam Posts: 440
    Eggtuary, Congrates from one 7th place winner to another. You did a great job!! It will take a few days to catch back up but you are young and also as I said last week, Hooked. Enjoy those kids because you will still be cooking after they are grown. In a few years they will be great team members. You are hanging with a great crowd of folks, sometimes rowdy, but great. Got to meet Old Dave this weekend. Greta Guy full of BBQ knowledge. He and his team member drove 500 miles to compete close to his family. Next time you talk to him ask if there ar any trains in Cartersville.[p]Congrates again and Great Luck in the future.[p]Poppasam

·