Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP! How to lift Large out of table safely?

Eggtuary
Eggtuary Posts: 400
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today's the day of the big competition. My father-in-law is coming over in half an hour to help me pull my Large out of my table in the backyard and load it into the car. I built a transporter per GrillMesiter's directions (thanks again, by the way!) so I'm in good shape there. But I'm hoping one of you can tell me the safest way to pull my Large Egg out of my table. It's the standard small table with casters.[p]In terms of safety, I'm concerned about two things: 1) Not dropping it, and 2) how to lift without messing up my FIL's back. I know the first thing I need to do is take out everything (ring, bowl, grids, etc.), which will make it lighter. But is there any technique that you guys have found makes it easier to get the remaining ~100 pounds out of that hole?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Eggtuary,[p]It's just awkward getting it out of the hole. With everything removed it's not tough for the two of you to grab it and yank it out to get it on to the top of the table. From that point it's a bit easier to manage depending on your path from there...[p]Good luck and hold on tight![p]Cheers ~[p]B o B
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    SmokinBoB,
    I saw a guy that had a simple length of rope tied in a secure knot around the bottom of the Egg base, and he and a helper used this as a handle to lift with.
    Tie a loop into opposing sides for a handhold, and feed them up through the table top to lift with. It would be a good idea to have another helper there to steady things on there way out. He rolled his cart to the bed of his truck, and the lifters stood in the back of the truck to lift so they were above the table... just an idea, looked like it worked pretty good to me.
    Good Luck, be careful!

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Well, I just got a little more time. The rain started pouring down, so my FIL is going to wait to come over. Maybe I'll be able to talk another friend into helping us during his lunch hour.[p]SuperDave, I'm having a hard time picturing your rope idea. There is very little space between my Egg and the edge of the table. I'm not arguing with you, but I can't envision exactly how this would work.[p]SmokinBob, where do you lift from? From above, about the only place I can see to grab is the hinge.[p]Thanks for the help!
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Eggtuary,
    After taking out all the ceramic guts, I find it very easy if I just reach in and grab the open lower vent and lift. Easy, quick and safe to my way of thinking. I do like to give the Egg a good cleaning first. And for transport, I just pack in some newspaper to keep the ceramics from rattling. I suggest you close the vents good while driving if the Egg is inside such as in an SUV. The smell can be a bit overpowering after a rather nasty cook.[p]Spring "Been There Done That" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Eggtuary,
    You DONT want to lift with the hinge....get a hand in the lower vent, and grab the rest as best you can.[p]Wess

• Smokin Bob
    Eggtuary,[p]As Wess mentioned, DO NOT grab the hinge (not that you would)![p]With two we just grab the side at hinge/band level (just not holding the hinge) and you almost use each other as leverage (almost pushing against each other). If you have 4 hands holding on you just push/lift at the same time to come up the 30 inches or so to get it to the top of the table, then you can determine your carrying from that point forward. I find it easier to carry it myself from there as it can be very awkward walking with someone else which could lead to a drop. If I have an issue along the way I can sacrifice myself to save the egg, with another person we may not make the same move in hopes of saving the egg in time...[p]I have pulled mine out 5-6 times with just one other person and it's become an easy routine (when nothing is in it). We both grab and lift to the table and then I grab it with my buddy opening doors and point out my obstacles along the way.

• Smokin Bob
    Spring Chicken,[p]I used this method once (when it was only me) to resecure the hinge band after it had become loose. It wasn't ideal but it certainly worked when I didn't have any assistance... My problem was that I hadn't removed anything so I'm sure it would be a ton easier without anything in it ; )[p]B o B
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Eggtuary,
    Let me get this straight. If you take out all the guts one person can lift the egg by grasping the vent area to lift out of the nest. I need to change the old vant to the new stainless steel vent. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom.

• Smokin Bob
    BajaTom,[p]Yes, when you reach in to grab through the vent from the inside your hand is really just grasping the ceramic itself. You guide/grasp the back of the egg with your other hand and raise it up. Again, not ideal but what is?[p]What is the old vent like?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Eggtuary,
    Would it not be great for the next Generation of Eggs to incorporate an indent for hand grips. It would change the shape on the outside a little but there would be less full grown men crying over a pile of broken ceramic pieces. Not to mention the fact of talking the wife into buying another.
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    SmokinBoB,
    It's made just like the new stainless steel except it's painted aluminan. It's all rusted out after 8 years of servise. I've had the new stainless steel for two years. I'm been too lazy to change out. The old one still works fine. Thanks for the info. Tom

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Photo Egg,
    real men are strong enough not to drop the egg inna first place.[p]
    ...you should see these guns of mine. gotta be 10" around, easy.
    hell-oooo ladies[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    stike,[p]My wife and I will be in your part of the country the 10th-17th. Our first trip to the North East Coast.
    Some condo in Provincetown. Hope to do a little fishing.
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas