Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Control / Wicked Good

Options
TulsaMurph
TulsaMurph Posts: 131
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Up to now, I have used only Wicked Good Competition Blend and BGE charcoal. I have done about 8 low and slow cooks of 12 hours or more. On one occassion, the temp stayed at 250 right on the dot for 12 hours. Another time the temp stayed at 250 for quite a while, but changed up and down a bit after about 5 hours, then stabilized again. On my last cook, I had to adjust the dampers frequently as the temp would climb slowly up to about 270 then drop slowly down to about 220 (after adjustment). I think my best results were when I had a load of almost entirely BGE charcoal, all the other cooks have most likely had some of both brands in them. Has anyone had any similar experiences with Wicked Good, or is it possibly just a bad idea to mix lump? I checked out the Naked Whiz, and WGC is rated very highly, I just thought I would get some comments and see if anyone else has had similar results.

Thanks,
TulsaMurph