Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how long will it keep

Options
av8or3
av8or3 Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
my plan is to cook 2 small butts fri night,wrap them in foil in the morning,throw them in a warm cooler for a 6 hour trip south for memorial day weekend. once there i will pull them and then pass it all around for folks to eat. will they stay safely warm 'till i get there?

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    av8or3,
    If the cooler is definately warm, and you wrap or cover with a couple of towels, after the foil wrap. I would expect they would still be hot, for sure they should still be warm. I would let the cooler sit for a while filled with boling water or at least as close to boiling as you dare.[p]Wess

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    coolergraph.gif
    <p />av8or3,
    6 hours (plus probably another hour or so for getting into the car, getting out of the car, getting set up to pull) is probably going to be OK. I placed 1 butt in foil, then in beach towels, then in a cooler that had NOT been pre-warmed, and got the above results. Two butts in a warmed cooler should last longer.[p]TNW

[ul][li]Holding Meat in a Cooler[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    WessB,
    Maybe even toss the towels in the dryer to preheat them too.[p]Dennis

• av8or3
    av8or3 Posts: 18
    Options
    WessB,
    thanks!!!!

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    av8or3,
    I have a syatem I use at competitons that I think is actually bettere than a Cambro (which I used for years in the food service industry). I have one of those sqaure Igloo Ice Cube coolers (48 quart capacity). It is about 17" sqaure. I bought 4 pieces of foam that is 1.5" thick that is used for making pillows they are aboiut 19" sqaure. I got this at Wal Mart and while I was there I bought a bag of cotton batting. [p]To use this I lay down one piece of foam and then place the double foil wrapped butts on top of that. I then wedge down the other pieces of foam on top of that. I then fill the rest of the cooler with the batting. When it comes time to add the briskets I just remove the batting, take out 2 pieces of the foam add the briskets on top of the foam that is on top of the butts and stack it up like that. when the sandwich is made, use the batting and close it up again.[p]I've kept 2 8 pound butts at home for over 9 hours with this system and they were badly burning my hands when I went to pull them.[p]I think the whole set up with the cooler was around $40.

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    I stole this trick from you for our last contest and a catering gig I had which had 24lbs of cooked butts in the cooler. It works like a champ and the foam is so cheap that if you do ruin one, it is an easy replacement.[p]-Kevin

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    Does the foam absorb the juice if the foil leaks? -RP

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    AZRP,
    It doesn't really absorb it, it just kind of sits there as a greasy splotch. I have stains and grease on some of them and it's time to replace them. It's about $2.00 for the replacements and I've gotten probably 10 uses out of them.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    Seems like no matter how careful I wrap them, they always find a way to leak. -RP