Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole lam leg semi-bnls HOW TO COOK?

Options
JM3
JM3 Posts: 272
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well the subject lines says it all. Found one on sale tonight. 8.5# leg of lamb. I'll be cooking it tomorrow evening. Any thoughts? I'm thinking indirect at 350 until an internal temp of ????? What is med-rare on lamb? Can't wait.[p]John

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    JM3,
    John, check your email.

• JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Options
    Richard,[p]Got it. Thanks![p]John
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    JM3,[p]Just finished eating a boneless, butterflied leg of lamb cooked direct.[p]That is a totally different cook, but maybe I can help.[p]First, I have learned to allow meat to come to room temp before placing on the grill. That helps attain even cooking thru the meat.[p]I agree with going indirect with a bone-in leg or joint. I would say dome temp 400 - 450. I would cook it much faster than 350.[p]Tonight I slathered a mixture of Dijon mustard, soy, olive oil, ground ginger and rosemary (ground with a mortar and pestle). I let the lamb marinate in this mixture for about two hours on the kitchen counter.[p]Because this lamb is butterflied, I tested the internal temp with a Thermapen and removed thinner sections of the leg when they reached 145°. I put them in a dish in my oven which is held at 125°, but I could have foiled the pieces and had the same result.[p]It is a little tougher to have all the meat of a bone-in leg come to temp at the same time.[p]I suggest going indirect at a higher temp than you proposed (go for 450), pulling when the thickest muscle is 145°, and wrapping in foil for 20 minutes. [p]I would then adjust future cooks to how you felt about the taste/texture of the meat. Possibly pulling at a lower or higher internal temperature to suit your tastes.[p]HTH.[p]DD