Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

London Broil-What went wrong?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tried the London Broil recipe I saw here this weekend. Meat was about 1 1/2" thick and I seared it at 700 degrees on both sides for 2 minutes per side and then cut into 1/4" strips across the grain. Put in cast iron skillet and put back on at about 450 degrees. My wife likes her meat well done so I let cook until almost all the pink was gone then pulled off and left in the skillet.
Meat was very tough.
Did I leave it on too long?
Would like to try again but would like to have better results.
Thanks

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Blu, never quite tried it that way - you might try an all night marinate or about 24 hours of mustard. London Broil, at least from my experience, seems to get tougher as you move toward well done. You may try to just cook it longer on the bge - 140 in medium rare - I guess well done would be about 180.

• cintel
    cintel Posts: 6
    Options
    Blu,
    Yikes! You MUST ALWAYS marinate London Broil overnight. It is one tough hunk of meat. You might try marinating in Italian dressing or mix 1 cup of white vinegar with 1 cup of your favorite hot sauce (I use Crystal). Both of these break down the toughness of the meat and provide a good flavor. And remember to cut the London Broil always on a bias.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S09_29_9917_43_07.jpg
    <p />cintel, mys 1st BBQ experience with the egg was a London Broil that was about 2 inches thick - marinated for 4 hours in "Mike's Dad's Salad Dressing / Marinade" from the recipe section - it was about as tender and juicy as anything that I have ever cooked. After that, I got into the mustard thing - maybe later this week I'll try the marinate overnight - if 4 hours works, maybe 12 hours would even be better.[p]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Blu,
    Cintel and GFW have a great suggestions about marinating overnight. I use Guiness. I sear like you did, but I finish cooking with the egg closed down, and slice afterward. Always pretty tender.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Ranger1
    Ranger1 Posts: 48
    Options
    Blu, I cooked a LB not very long ago following TimM's website advice. It worked like a champ and the meat was juicy, tender, and well done. I can't abide red meat! The other posts indicate how this is done, but you may want to check out Tim's site for the play by play. r1