Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BULGOKI!

bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Everytime I have had traditional bulgoki in a Korean restaurant, it is thin-sliced marinated beef which is cooked at the table on a dome- shaped metal hot plate. The marinade is roughly the same as that posted by Nature Boy, but I've no idea how to prepare the thin cuts on the egg. Has anyone had any success using a fish basket or some such contraption? I've not made any bulgoki using ribs, but it's on the menu for this week!
bd

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    bdavidson,
    I guess you could do the thin sliced beef on a grill topper with holes in it. That would probably be excellent, of course it would cook pretty instantly, and might not take on much of a smoky flavor. [p]Do you have a Korean market, or a butcher who can cut the short ribs korean style? Lately I have been cooking the ribs at 350 direct until seared on both sides. Maybe 20 minutes total. And they are nice and smoky. You can sear them like steaks and they are great, but less smoky. [p]Let me know how your adventures go, or if you have any particular questions.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    bdavidson,
    I was just thinkin about your question with the thin sliced beef. And I was wondering. My in-laws have a portable electric grill, that has a metal dome shaped grid like you describe in the restaurant. They put it on the table and everyone cooks there own slices. The metal dome/grate is cast metal I believe. I wonder how that would do on the egg? Set it in the middle of your BGE grate, and fill it up with slices of beef. Once they are done on one side, literally a few seconds on the second side and they are done! Then do the next batch.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Nature Boy,
    Just take the dome off of a mini. There is your portable stick griller.[p]It is too bad that CO is such a bad by product or else we could use it indoors.[p]RhumAndJerk

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I have a butcher who will cut to order for us. I haven't had good homemade bulgoki for years, but your recipe caught my attention and so I'll give it a try on Mr Humpty. I feel sorry for the egg...sitting out there in the cold, covered with snow...got to get it heated up! I was thinking that a fish basket or a piece of expanded metal grate would do the trick and would prevent the meat from falling into the coals.
    I'll let you know how we do.

• Nature Boy
    bdavidson,
    Expanded metal should work. 'Course you don't need that if you get the slices of ribs with bone.[p]We have about 8 inches in DC now, but it is hard to tell cuz that white stuff is blowing everywhere! Looks like NJ, NY could really get pounded.

DizzyPigBBQ.com