Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to use for Beef Jerkey

sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]Probably a stupid question but I was wondering what cut of beef to use for jerkey? Does it make a difference? I'm not planning on using an expensive beef loin but wanted to get the opinions of the forum to see what's worked well for you. Thanks for the information, I couldn't find any information in the archives, all of the recipes for jerkey just refer to "the beef" which makes me think that it doesn't make any difference.[p]Troy

Comments

• sprinter,
    I started out using flank steak, to give it that chewy consistantcy. Later, I switched to round steak. Lot cheaper and more readily available out here. I freeze it partially and then slice it to desired thickness with a wheel type slicer. Works everytime! Stay away from fattier cuts of meat, for sure![p]Dr. C

• sprinter
    Dr. Chicken,[p]Sorry about the blank post, fat fingers accientally hit a return. Anyway, thanks for the fast follow up. I have two beef shoulders, got them on a buyone get one deal at the local store. Will these work ok?[p]Troy
  • sprinter,
    I'm not sure, to be honest with you! I think as long as the meat is not fatty, it will work fine! We use the hinds or rounds from deer to get excellent deer jerky. I've seen other people use just about anything. The fat will not cook down very well (really dry down) and consequently does not keep long. That's not a problem around my place, since everyone chows down on it as soon as I take it off the cooker or the Egg. I'm not sure what kind of consistentcy the beef shoulder is! Does it look fairly fat free? Let that be your judge. Maybe someone else on the forum more familar with beef shoulders can help you out. [p]Dr. C

• sprinter
    Dr. Chicken,[p]It looks relatively fat free but in that it's in the shoulder region I thought it would be a tough cut of meat. I had planned to do one similr to a brisket to see what happened. Figured if it was tough that would soften it up. But, then I got the idea for jerkey so I'm going to cut one thin and try it and let the group know how it turns out. I'll do the other one low and slow some other day. Starting to get beef/meat lined up for the egg, cant wait for the days to get longer and warmer. [p]Troy
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    sprinter,[p]It's been a while since I've made jerky, but I use top round or skirt steak. I can usually find both sliced thinly.[p]
  • sprinter,
    Sounds like a winner to me! That's what's great about the Egg! Like last night, came home from church a little after 8pm, 10 degrees above zero, threw a fire starter on the lump, opened the bottom vent full, took off the daisy wheel, let it burn for 5 minutes, closed the dome without the daisy, 30 minutes later, 700 degrees ready to do some steaks. 8 minutes later 2 perfect rib eyes done to puurrrrfection!(The rib eyes were a little thin 1", but they were given to us, so I ain't complaining!)
    Cold don't stop an Eggaficionado!
    Let us know how it turns out![p]Dr. C

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    S12_12_9912_14_01.jpg
    <p />sprinter, there is a marinate recipe in the new recipe section called "River City Beef Jerky" that I make a variation of about every 2 weeks. I start with a 5 to 6 lb round tip roast and cut it up by had to maintain a "with the grain" cut.[p]Check out the link below for cooking times and temps and look on the left side for "Beef, Jerky"

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ Site[/ul]
  • sprinter,[p]I have a friend that make jerkey to sell he buys inside round from a meat wholesaler you got to have lean meat no fat on meat at all you can tell when you bite into a peice of fat on jerkey, bad taste. It will take about 3# of meat to make one pound of jerkey if you do it right, when you can bend it and it start to break it pull down enough. I like mine on the chrisp side.[p]Ronald
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    sprinter,
    I make a lot of Jerkey. Wait till round steak is on sale at Kroger. Buy 20Lb and have them slice it at 1/4" with the grain. Usually $1.99 per Lb. Picked up Eye of round last week for the same price. Took it home and sliced it my self. It was super. I salt them and stack them in plastic in the frig for a couple of days and then smoke them dry. They are great.[p]MAC

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    sprinter,
    I make a lot of Jerkey. Wait till round steak is on sale at Kroger. Buy 20Lb and have them slice it at 1/4" with the grain. Usually $1.99 per Lb. Picked up Eye of round last week for the same price. Took it home and sliced it my self. It was super. Icut them into strips, salt(Dry Cure) them and stack them in plastic in the frig for a couple of days and then smoke them dry. They are great.[p]MAC