Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

two butts

Options
bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had two 6 lb butts in the egg for the last 20 hours. I am not sure if the probe is broken, or what the problem is, but the internal temp has been fixed at 150 for the last 12 hours. No problems with the fire this time. I added lump last night at around 10:00 to make sure I got through the night. The dome temp has been stable at around 200-250 for the entire duration. Butts always do this to me...why else would I be up at the computer at 0530!

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]That's a looooooong plateau! Have you tried a fork test? Tried repositioning the probe? [p]Every butt has its own personality...[p]Cathy
  • bdavidson
    Options
    Cat,
    I haven't tried the fork test, but I have tried repositioning the probe. I just cranked the dome temp up to 300 and I plan on pulling them out of the egg at 9:30 regardless. I'll wrap them in foil, stick them in a cooler and cover them with blankets and hope for the best.
    I made up some of the Elder's "I fought the slaw" recipe and GFW's BBQ sauce. If it weren't for those tardy butts I'd be all set for MNF tonight!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    bdavidson,
    I had a very long plateau on the last butt I did. Not too far from the insane time you just described! Your plan sounds good to pull off at 9:30...maybe you are out there now! Has spent enough time plateauing that it will probably be very tender.[p]What was your final temp at pull-off??[p]It will finish cooking in your cooler!
    Enjoy!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bdavidson
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Yep. You're right. Internal temp is now 183. I decided to just pull it out, wrap it up and hope for the best.
    Never had a plateau like that!