Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg felt gasket or something better?

Options
Q-Scoop
Q-Scoop Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Turns out my higher-than-desired temps in my slow cook were due to the fact that part of my gasket is burnt up, creating a gap in the seal between the dome and the body. Two questions: Is this normal for an Egg that's only four months old? And is there something more durable to replace the gasket with, such as a furnace gasket? Thanks, Catherine

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Q-Scoop,
    4 months is pretty quick to burn up a gasket, it really depends if you were doing a lot of high temp cooks during that time.
    It may be possible that you have a gap due to poor alignement. If that is the case I would close the egg and loosen the bolt holding the top ban, just enough to get some room to push lid down on the bottome half, making sure you get good contact all the way around, then retighten those bolts.
    If it is the gasket, BGE has come out with a new gasket that will stand higher temps.
    Hope this helps

Apollo Beach, FL
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Q-Scoop,[p]I agree with everything Wardster said. It sounds like your lid was not properly aligned from the git go and hot gasses from previous cooks were escaping through the misalignment burning a hole in your gasket.
    Loosen the band on the lid and re-tighten like Wardster said... better yet, refer to your assembly instruction sheet and it will walk you through proper placement of the bands to align the top with the bottom.
    If you need, call the folks in Atlanta to walk you through the realignment... while you are on the phone with them, order the new felt gasket... it's a better and safer bet than a furnace gasket. Good luck![p]John