Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hi - need some shrimp advice

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Personally, I haven't cooked shrimp yet on an Egg, so I'm seeking the advice of you experts out there.[p]I'm very satisfied with the quality of 21-25 sized shrimp sauteed on the stove. I've used a variety of regular BBQ rubs and a tiny bit of butter. These are great.[p]My question: Is it worth cooking shrimp on an Egg? Will they be better? Do I need to grill them on the racks, or put them in a pan? I saw the photo of the Salmon cakes and it looked like they were in a cast iron skillet, so since you can't shut the lid with the skillet in, then whats the real advantage?[p]My neighbor has an Egg and I'm not getting mine for a few more months, so I may go over and try his - but I wonder if its worth starting up the grill just to make shrimp when I can do it the 'old way'. [p]Thanks so much for your advice
Jill

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    sh,[p]If you like shrimp sautéed on the stove top then I think you will like grilled shrimp... it's good stuff... just different from sautéed. Instead of the wet coating you get with sautéing, the grilled shrimp will be dry seared more like a steak with grill lines and a hint of smoke.[p]Here's a simple recipe to see if you like grilled shrimp.... fire up your neighbor's egg and get it to searing temps... around 450 or higher. Skewer shelled raw shrimp, sprinkle with rub and sear a couple minutes per side at the most.. you be the judge of doneness... shortly before you pull them off the grill, brush the shrimp with softened/melted garlic butter. If you can, time the shrimp to finish when the butter slightly browns.... eat hot... awesome.[p]john[p]

• Tujax
    Tujax Posts: 20
    Options
    Shrimps.jpg
    <p />sh,
    Shrimp is a good call on the Egg.
    Here are bacon wrapped shrimps......Yummy!!

• Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 524
    Options
    sh,
    I marinade my shrimp, 26 to 32 size, in Italian dressing and a little Tony Chachere's for a few hrs to overnite,if you have time. Place them on screwers, 350 dome direct turning once. Do not overcook. Remove and lightly dust again with Tony's and squeeze lime over all. Gives you a little sweetness, pepper bite.
    You can baste with melted butter, if you like, but when I do I tend to get flare ups. Pop

Willis Tx.
  • sh,[p]I normally marinate in a tequilla/lime marinade that I buy at the local grocery with lots of fresh lime added. Place on skewers, salt and pepper. Egg at 350, direct for about 2 mins per side. Squeeze fresh lime when you turn, a little more S&P and good to go - awesome. [p]FYI - if you use wood skewers soak em in water first - learned this the hard way.[p]Good Luck
    Reed