Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mixed Grill - T-Rex Strips, Salmon, Pork Loin

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A recurring problem I have had in the six and a half weeks I have had my Egg is how do I cook Salmon (for my wife), steak (for me) and pork (for whoever comes by from the smell) all at the same time! I have a large egg. Here is what I did tonight, and I hope you enjoy it. Everybody left full and jealous -- like I like 'em.[p]Good Recipe for Mixed Grill to serve 4 (sides bore me, so figure that out yourselves) We had a salad, sauteed carrots and texas toast for the kids.[p]The key is to monitor the egg early and often so it doesnt rise about 500, if it does it will take a LONG time to cool off no matter what you do. 500 is the highest I could get it and still cool it off to cook the rest at the right temp.[p]Cedar Plank Salmon w. Potlatch Rub[p]Raspberry Pork Loin - Marinate a 3/4 - 1lb pork loin in 1/4 cup raspberry preserves, 1 tbsp red wine vinegar and 1 tsp pepper. Let it sit for at least one minute - but not longer than dour hours.[p]Hickory Strips[p]First, if you live in Georgia and its not Sunday - buy beer. Second, read on. Soak a 1/2 in. cedar plank for at least an hour. Get yourself a 1 lb salmon filet, 3/4 lb pork loin and two strips about 1 - 1 1/4 in thick. (I know, those are thin - but it is a Mixed Grill) [p]Start your Egg to 500 and sear the 1.5 in. strips for 1-2 min per side. The steaks were rubbed with EEOO, light k salt and pepper - smear a fingerfull of mustard across one side. This is direct cooking with ONE chunk of hickory on the side of the fire, no need to soak it. Egg open - TREX style (appropriate credit to the whiz) Pull em off, cover em foil and close the egg down and let it cool off. Probably take one - twenty minutes - after a while you can pop the top and let it cool off even more. Put the plate setter in now to help cool it off - legs up. Get the temp to 400 and hold it. Drink one of those beers we bought and watch the temp, close the wheel and slide to keep at 400. If at the end of the beer the temp is still 400, proceed. Otherwise, fix it. [p]Now.... Put Salmon, pork on the grill and throw some trimmed green onions on there to, for visual appeal. After three-four minutes (or when you start to get a little nervous) throw the strips on as well. The grill will be a little cramped, but throw them on and shut the lid. Turn the strips and loin as needed to keep the color reasonable - wait three minutes before checking. The whole shebang will come in medium in about 12 minutes. Tap the salmon to confirm its doneness. It should spring back, but not jiggle - in my opinion.