Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sausage & Cornbread Stuffed Poblanos

Options
WooDoggies
WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
StuffedPoblanos1.jpg
<p />StuffedPoblanos2.jpg[p]These turned out pretty good for an off the cuff recipe.... WooKitties said so.[p]~ 1 lb. ground pork
~ 1/2 lb. Mexican chorizo diced
~ 2 teaspoons whole cumin seed
~ 4 cloves garlic finely diced
~ 4 large shallots diced
~ tops of three green onions chopped
~ 3 cups crumbled corn bread
~ 1 1/2 tablespoon Dizzy Pig Cow Lick rub
~ 6 large poblano peppers cored
~ 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil[p]Over medium high heat, sauté in olive oil the cumin seed, garlic and shallots in that order. When shallots begin to soften stir in and brown the pork and chorizo.
Take off heat and add the cornbread.
Stuff cored poblanos with the mixture.
Cook indirect on the egg @ 325 degrees dome temp for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the poblanos soften and begin to wrinkle.

Serve the peppers hot with fresh salsa and tortilla chips.[p]StuffedPoblanos3.jpg[p]
Salsa:
~ 2 large tomatoes chopped
~ 1 small onion chopped
~ 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro chopped
~ 3 jalapeños, seeded and diced
~ juice from 2 limes
~ salt
Mix all ingredients while the poblanos are cooking.[p]La Buena Vida!
John

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Those look and sound great. Brought a little of the Mexican fever back with you, huh?

• WooDoggies
    Options
    AkumalPalm.jpg
    <p />egret,[p]Yeah, the fever is lingering... I had a seafood stuffed poblano with a cream sauce served to me at a table about 20 feet from the surf under a palm tree with a very cold Dos Equis and with a beautiful woman sitting next to me.... it was like a commercial..... anyways, it got me to thinking about poblanos and the endless ways you could stuff them....
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    sure hope wookitties doesn't read about you having beers with beautiful women!!! . .....oh, i guess you meant wookitties when you said that :-) sorry, she fall into the DEVESTATINGLY beautiful category to me... [p]great pics, and those peppers look and sound delicious!!

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Gee whiz, max..... thanks. :~)
  • 1shot1kill
    1shot1kill Posts: 136
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    WOW!!! those look great. Gonna have to give that one a try! Thanks

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    John:[p]Those are absolutely beautiful. Did you peel the skin at eating or just ingest it all? This looks like a great way to prepare. I've got killer, chili relleno recipe using poblanos that are stuffed, battered and fried. However, before you do so you have to peel the puppies. Sure makes them hard to work with.[p]Again, great job and great pics![p]Mike

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    seafood stuffed poblanos is going on the to do list as soon as i see those peppers, which is not very often up here. i went to cabo san lucas a few years ago to fish for marlin and had never realized how much seafood is eaten down there, i could stay there forever

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]You mind posting a recipe for those???[p]The thought is driving me crazy. Do you use a white sauce, as in fish tacos sold all over the So Cal area?[p]Thanks,[p]DD
  • fishlessman
    Options
    DobieDad,
    its the thought that was driving me crazy too, dont have a recipe yet, but it will have lots of maine lobster, maybe a sauce similar to bigbawbs seafood casserole in the recipe section with some cheese mixed in.sounds like something to experiment with every weekend

fukahwee maine

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Don't forget to post![p]And send me the leftovers![p]DD
  • fishlessman
    Options
    DobieDad,
    i grew up near the maine coast and spent many summers there. lobster used to be cheap, 3 dollars for a 2 pounder. now its 20 dollars per pound for the same thing and thats just within the past 3or4 years. need to find new ways to portion it out because im used to 2 2 pound lobsters for dinner, and 4o dollars per plate is just a little extreme, 100 dollars would get us a lobster boil that was just to die for in years past.

fukahwee maine

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    fishlessman,
    how much did you make an hour back then though?
    heh heh[p]my dad thinks his kids are bajillionaires because we make "so much more " than he ever did.[p]and of course, his house was 16k vs. 20 times that (for the same house)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    Options
    stike,
    your doin good if your pay went up 650 percent in about 4 years.only chance for me is to find a nurse with a purse, my retirement plan

fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    fishlessman,
    last i remember, call it 5 years ago at most, a 'sale' on lobsters was around 4.99 a pound. now it's 7.99.[p]at shyer's in salem, i think we got a 4 pounder for 7.99 a pound. the select stuff, and bigger, is usualy a buck cheaper than the chix, or pound and a halfs.[p]my experience is just shy of 200% in 4 or 5 years (for lobstah).[p]

• WooDoggies
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Being so fresh and plentiful, seafood was all I ate down there.... well, that and mangos, avacados, beans, tortillas and beer.
    When you come up with a recipe for the seafood stuffed poblanos, please post it here.[p]John

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Thanks, Mike. We eat poblanos without peeling them first as we've never had a problem with thick or tough skins. Our thin skinned poblanos might be a different variety than the ones you get.... and yes, peeling them is real pain.
    This cook took no time to put together and WooKitties liked them so much she made me write down the recipe so I can do it exactly the same way again.... something I rarely do.
    Cheers![p]

• fishlessman
    Options
    stike,
    about 4 years ago we were getting it delivered in trash barrels right to my grandmothers beach house in biddeford for about 1.50 per pound and yes, delivered by the boat owner himself. that doesnt happen anymore. lobster will be back up in price in a few months as the tourism starts again in maine.

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    100_0305.jpg
    <p />Lawn Ranger,
    mind sharing your fried recipe, ive just discovered poblanos last year and love them, ive only made the rellenos baked in the egg and havent had issues with the skin while baked

fukahwee maine

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    are ya sharing a relleno recipe?

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    I'll have to go dig it up. It's in a San Antonio Cookbook and was submitted by the wife of former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, Henry Cisneros. It's served with a Ranchero sauce that I will also dig up. They are stuffed with a beef mixture and dipped in a tempora type batter and deep fried. It's best to make it a two day affair by peeling and stuffing on one day and refrigerating and cooling. The dipping goes better when they are cool and a little more firm. It's a pretty intense process, but man are they good. I'll post when I find it. [p]Mike

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    fishlessman,
    It may be a regional thing, but most of the ones served here will be peeled as they sometimes can get a bit stringy. I'd love to find out that it's one of those "Well, that's the way we've always done it" type of things....because it would sure make things easier. I don't know if Ive ever left the skin on. [p]We love them, too...and often treat them as a side with TRexed steaks. [p]See my response to Wil above.[p]Mike

• stike
    Options
    fishlessman,
    aaaah
    well that's a differnant thing all to getha then, ain't it.[p]damn.
    that's a sweet deal