Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starter Taste in Meat

Options
John
John Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked 3 2" thick ribeyes on my egg tonight. I let the fire burn for about 30 minutes before I put the steaks on, started the fire with 3 of the green egg fire starters. Two of the steaks tasted like starter, that chemical taste that starter smells like. What caused this? How can I prevent it from happening again???

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    John, At what temp did you put the steaks on? I personally never use more than one starter cube no matter what I cook. Sounds like one or two of them hadn't finished burning yet. Wait till the smoke clears.

• Jopa
    Jopa Posts: 155
    Options
    John,
    Get a mapp torch
    Even better a BBQ Guru golf club
    check it at BBQ Guru .com

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Three starter cubes sound like about one and maybe two too many.....To do a hot-n-fast cook I will take 2 cubes and break them in half....I will use just 3 of the pieces....and place them in a triangle pattern in three different places in the fire box and go from there....and have had no problems whatsoever....[p]Starting the fire with a Mapp Torch is also another alternative that's also kind of fun as most of us really, really, did I mention really(?)...like fire![p]Best of luck....[p]Ed McLean....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL