Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to store the EGG in winter ??

Options
John
John Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just a quick question - most post that I see are from the warmer but great USA - living in Ottawa Canada where it gets to minus 40 in the winter - can I store the EGG outside in a shed or garage ?? How good is it during the winter ???[p]Thanks eh !![p]John

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    John ,the egg knows no seasons, only night and day.

• John ,
    They will go through hurricannes, and snow. Just keep on Egging!!!!!!!!!
    Gary

• John
    Options
    tach18k,
    Thanks ..no worries about cracking ???
    What do people perfer to use wood or coal for cooking ? What get the best results and falvore[p]Thanks tach18k

• John
    Options
    360 guy,[p]Thanks ..[p]John

• stormyddog
    Options
    London Ontario here John, no problem with the egg I use it all year round, might want to get a Guru though, it's a pain to run out in the middle of the night in the cold to check on temps. Only use charcoal, and not any that has the lighter fluid already with it. Check out the Naked Wiz's site it is all explained there.
    Also you can order you dizzy pig rubs from a place in Bramford and they will ship it to you. check out their site and use the canada link it will have the number
    Good Luck
    Stormyddog

• John
    Options
    stormyddog,[p]Thanks Bud !!! I have worked in Texas for the last 5 years and I do miss good BBQ - What type of Charcoal do you suggest ?? Have you tried types of wood they use in the southern USA - Last question - I remember from the old days when it took my Dad it seems hours to get the coals ready for cooking - with the proper type of coal ..how long will it take to have it ready to cook ?? OK I lied 2nd question - can I store the EGG outside in Jan/Feb using the cover ??[p]Thanks Bud[p]John

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    John,[p]Only use lump charcoal.... you find out what is availible to you, and you'll pretty much have to use the best one.[p]Nakid wiz has a site dedicated to judging lump. someone will provide the url I am sure.[p]I can get to #350 in about 10 mins or less And 700 in about 20 minutes. My old gasser took 10 mins to get to 350 so I don't think your losing any time.[p]I have seen pics of them burried in the snow, so I am thinking you don't have a problem with the weather.

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    IMG_1469a.jpg
    <p />John ,[p]The picture says it all.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Chuck,[p]Very nice picture, it looks like a christmas card.[p]Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • John
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Chuck,[p]Thats what I needed ..thanks Chuck [p]Do you get a commission on my first purchase ????[p]
    All the best ..John from Ottawa ...[p]p.s. where was that picture taken ??

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    John ,[p]I wouldn't worry bout leavin it out in the elements. I'm in New Hampshire and it gets awful cold at times. I've always left my eggs outside with no covers or nuttin and use them year round. As for your question about what people use wood or charcoal, here's the deal. Use only lump charcoal, not briquetes, for heat. For wood/smoke flavor folks add wood chunks or chips to the fire after it's established and before you put the food on. Chips burn up fast so most folks use chunks for low and slow smokin so the smoke lasts longer. You'll get some smoke flavor out of just the lump but not that much. It depends on what you are cooking, for some things the lump charcoal is enough, for other things you'll want to add smoke chunks for more smoke flavor.[p]StumpBaby

• stormyddog
    Options
    I just use the big green egg lump, it is pretty limited with what I can get around here. No problem with the storage, I kept mine in the garage this year, a bit easier to use but really no problems with having it out in the snow. Temps will very but get a good base going I usually let mine go for 10 to 15 minutes before I start with trying to control the temps
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    John ,
    you can't really cook with wood, at least not without a lot of smoke, aggravation, and tending fire. no need.[p]lump burns hotter than wood anyway. and is far more controllable.[p]absolutely no concerns about outside air temp. the egg is unaffected.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Chuck
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Thanks!! I might just use it next year.[p]Chuck

• Chuck
    Options
    snowegg.jpg
    <p />John,[p]I only wish I got a commission on all the eggs just my friends and family have bought. I'd have an XL by now.[p]The picture is in southern New Jersey. Not quite as cold as Ottawa but we do have winter.[p]Good luck with your BGE, you'll love it.[p]Chuck

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    StumpBaby,
    Hmmmmm...your posts after midnight tells me your brain must have re-booted and all that short-circuiting goes on during the other 23 hours! That post was clear and therefore darn near scary! I thought maybe aliens had invaded your head, when the re-boot theory came to mind...PS Mini says Hi, Paully.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    IceHut.jpg
    <p />John ,[p]Store it? Ahhh, just use it year round. Even ice fishing on Lake of the Woods! (grin)

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    SnowBaptism.jpg
    <p />John ,
    You don't.

• John
    Options
    Chuck,
    Thanks for the great pic Chuck - But why 2 Eggs??? Should I get an regular or extra large Egg ?? Family of 4 - maybe some guest here and there ??[p]John