Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

in search of a crispy chicken.

Options
Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
my chickens come out flavorfull and juicy, but I prefer a crispy skin, kinda like what comes out of those spit-roasted chicken places. (juicy on the inside, crispy on the outside). Is it possible to replicate that kind of bird on a BGE? (I typically do whole roasters at 350 degrees for about 75 minutes). I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    mark,[p]For me the best way to get that crispy skin is to butterfly the chicken, cook it bone side down (300-325 dome) for just under an hour, then flip it toward the fire for another half hour or so. I brush it with a mix of soy, mustard, olive oil & honey to encourage browning and add some flavor.[p]For a whole bird, oiling the skin should help. So would putting a rich stuffing between skin and flesh.[p]
    Cathy

• Anthony Up North
    Options
    mark,
    Put the chicken on a setter. Brush it thoroughly with olive oil. Do it indirect heat at 350 dome for about 20-25 minutes per lb. Check, when breast internal is 170 or a bit higher. It is done. Chicken skin will always be golden brown and crisp, like a picture in a magazine. Skin releases from the meat and is semi-stiff (crispy) while the meat is moist and juicy and fall off the bone.[p]Good luck.[p]Anthony

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    07_23_0017_46_03.jpg
    <p />mark, this is closer to Cat's Butterfly Chicken variation. The outside was nice and crispy, the inside was nice and moist![p]Good luck.
    [ul][li]Butterfly Chicken[/ul]