Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

in search of a crispy chicken.

MarkMark Posts: 295
edited 11:09AM in EggHead Forum
my chickens come out flavorfull and juicy, but I prefer a crispy skin, kinda like what comes out of those spit-roasted chicken places. (juicy on the inside, crispy on the outside). Is it possible to replicate that kind of bird on a BGE? (I typically do whole roasters at 350 degrees for about 75 minutes). I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Comments

• CatCat Posts: 556
    mark,[p]For me the best way to get that crispy skin is to butterfly the chicken, cook it bone side down (300-325 dome) for just under an hour, then flip it toward the fire for another half hour or so. I brush it with a mix of soy, mustard, olive oil & honey to encourage browning and add some flavor.[p]For a whole bird, oiling the skin should help. So would putting a rich stuffing between skin and flesh.[p]
    Cathy

• mark,
    Put the chicken on a setter. Brush it thoroughly with olive oil. Do it indirect heat at 350 dome for about 20-25 minutes per lb. Check, when breast internal is 170 or a bit higher. It is done. Chicken skin will always be golden brown and crisp, like a picture in a magazine. Skin releases from the meat and is semi-stiff (crispy) while the meat is moist and juicy and fall off the bone.[p]Good luck.[p]Anthony

• GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    07_23_0017_46_03.jpg
    <p />mark, this is closer to Cat's Butterfly Chicken variation. The outside was nice and crispy, the inside was nice and moist![p]Good luck.
    [ul][li]Butterfly Chicken[/ul]