Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb Shoulder Roast (LOTS of Pics!)

Options
DobieDad
DobieDad Posts: 502
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We love lamb, and many years ago found a stuffing that enhances the flavor of a lamb roast.[p]Last night we tried it on lamb shoulder. Here are the results.[p]We started with a boned lamb shoulder weighing 5 pounds after boning.[p]1LambShoulderRaw.jpg[p]The stuffing is very simple. Place the following ingredients into your food processor and pulse until you have a chunky paste. After some experimentation, I find that we like it chunky rather than smooth.[p]1 cup Parsley
4-5 cloves garlic
1/3rd cup sundried tomatoes in oil - drained
2 Tbls capers - salt rinsed off
1 sm can anchovies - remove most of the oil[p]
2StuffingMix.jpg
This recipe was given to us by David Hay, an outstanding chef, when we visited his bed and breakfast in the Clare Valley (www. thornpark.com.au) in 1991.[p]Slather the stuffing on the inside of the lamb roast and tie it up.[p]3LambwStuffing.jpg[p]4LambTiedUp.jpg[p]Then into the Small for a sear at near nuke temps.[p]5LambSearing.jpg[p]And this is the result.[p]6LambPostSear.jpg[p]I coated the outside of the seared lamb shoulder roast with the following mixture.[p]1 cup Dijon mustard
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1 Tbls each of dried Rosemary, Thyme and Oregano that had been crushed together in a mortar and pestle[p]7LambPasted.jpg[p]Then placed the roast in the Large, indirect, at 400F dome temp. Grid temp was about 350F.[p]8LambOnLarge.jpg[p]After about an hour and a half the internal temp was up to 150F. I pulled the roast and let it rest uncovered for 15 minutes in our oven warmed only by the gas pilot.[p]9LambDone.jpg[p]Finally we sliced the roast and were ready to eat![p]10LambSlices.jpg[p]Now it's time to raid the refrigerator for a day-after lamb sandwich![p]Cooks note: To those of you who recoil at the thought of an anchovie in any form, do not omit them from this recipe. They serve as a background seasoning and greatly enhance the flavors. If you weren't told anchovies were part of the recipe, you would never know they were in there![p]Cheers,[p]DD

Comments

• Paterfamilias
    Options
    WOW!!!!!!

I'm not sure what else to say? ...maybe, anchcovies, YUM!

This looks like another great reason for a Small and Large egg combo.

-Pater
  • Paterfamilias
    Options
    WOW!!!!!!

I'm not sure what else to say? ...maybe, anchcovies, YUM!

This looks like another great reason for a Small and Large egg combo.

-Pater
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DobieDad,[p]That looks fantastic! It has been copied and saved in the master recipe file. No kidding about some folks not liking anchovies, but we love 'em. (Most will lighten up after you tell them that anchovies are one of the back flavors in Worcestershire Sauce).[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    DobieDad,
    Beautiful! We love lamb also. Nice to see something new with leg-o-lambie, this recipe looks dynamite. Your pic's are super, going to make a copy right now. Looks Italian by origin.
    Clay(droolin)

• ToddB
    ToddB Posts: 26
    Options
    As previously mentioned -- "Wow!" --- I'm salivating at the pictures. :P

I've been procrastinating all evening... my wife is away for a month and all I've eaten is meat and potatoes (or yams) on our egg. Time to crack open a beer for motivation... :)
  • ToddB
    ToddB Posts: 26
    Options
    As previously mentioned -- "Wow!" --- I'm salivating at the pictures. :P

I've been procrastinating all evening... my wife is away for a month and all I've eaten is meat and potatoes (or yams) on our egg. Time to crack open a beer for motivation... :)
  • DobieDad,[p]How do you get them to post so large? How do you get so close up and in focus?[p]I know so little about my little digital camera, I'm not sure I'll understand the answer, but I'll try.[p]Lee

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    rodger,[p]that looks fantastic.. .. great step by step pictorial!!!
  • DobieDad
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Thanks, Max.[p]I'm finally getting into the groove of cooking, photographing and posting. My biggest hang up has been using Photobucket. I posted photos so seldom that each time I did I had to go back to TNW's essay on how to do it![p]And setting up the shots took so much time that I almost ran out of lump in my Large before the lamb was done.[p]Do try the stuffing in rolled flank steak. I've done it many times and it's great! Oh! BTW. Don't let the stuffing burn or char (or scrape off any stuffing that was exposed outside of the meat and charred) as burnt/charred stuffing develops a bitter, uninviting flavor.[p]Have a happy day! Counting down to Waldorf![p]Rodger
  • DobieDad
    Options
    Lee,[p]That topic covers a lot of ground. [p]Getting good, focused macro shots depends on the type camera you have. Best to go back to your instruction book and review the procedure for macro photography specific to your camera, then practice and learn for yourself what you and your camera can do. After all, with digital you can shoot all day without the costs of film and developing. And you get almost instant feedback.[p]Posting photos is new to me. But I had seen posts by others that were large and with great detail, and I experimented. I resized the photos using Photoshop Elements 2.0, which came with my camera (check to see if you have a 'digital photo lab' application that came on a CD when you purchased your camera). Resizing requires two adjustments, setting the 'resolution' to 72 pixels/inch (which is the maximum resolution that a computer screen can display). And setting the 'width' to 12 inches. I also checked the boxes marked 'constrain proportions' and 'resample image' (In Photoshop Elements 2.0 all of these options are on the same page). After those adjustments are made, the image is ready to be uploaded to Photobucket, or whatever photo retention service you use, and should appear similar to mine when shown on this Forum.[p]I hope this helps, and I hope I don't get a flurry of firey emails from all the photopros and IT experts on this Forum. I'm just an amature tryin' to help![p]Happy cookin', and give these things a try![p]DD
  • Dr_Redwine
    Options
    DobieDad,
    Great looking meal and excellent photos![p]DrR

• DobieDad,[p]Thank you! I will save this post to refer to when I try out some of your suggestions.[p]Lee

• Bwoodward0012
    Options
    I know this is an ancient post but I tried this tonight, literally the 3rd time using my (new to me) medium egg and it came out awesome. Great recipe, will be doing this again sometime. 
  • CodyA88
    CodyA88 Posts: 143
    Options
    looks great!  Thanks for getting that recipe back up to the front page.  bookmarked
    LBGE, 28" Blackstone
    Georgia
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Some great old names on this post, from the days of the 'real' forum

looking @WooDoggies specifically!
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]