Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Pork Loin?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Folks, getting ready to do my first pork loin, what is the lowest meat temp that's safe? Wife likes it on the rare side. Alos trying out my first DizzyPig rub, any recommendations for the loin (have RR,TS,CL and DD??

Comments

• Hasenpheffer
    Options
    Natchez Tiger,
    I'd say not to go any lower than 145 degrees on pork. Just my 2cents. I've only used the DD so far and it's awesome.
    Cheers!

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Natchez Tiger,[p]I would go with RR or TS, assuming they're Raging River and Tsunami Spin. They're pretty different, though, so try a little finger full or something before choosing.[p]I think the bad germs die at 137 or 138*. The USDA still says cook pork to 160*, but many chefs say cook to 140*. I usually aim for 145, for some reason, but often hit 150* if I'm not paying close enough attention.[p]Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
    Cornfed

• Thanks, guys. I think I'll go with 145 and go with the Dizzy Dust. I can go direct on the extender can't I??

• Co-Bro-Q2
    Options
    Natchez Tiger,[p]Go with a heavy coating of DP Ragin' River and cook to 140-145 for medium-rare. Toward the end of the cook, baste the entire loin in a red BBQ sauce (I use Tenneessee River sauce). Slice the loin about 1/2 inch thick for superb meat...it will melt in your mouth. [p]I did one this way last weekend and the family liked it as much or better than the beef filet tenderloin.[p]Cooking it direct is okay on the extender...it will cook faster and watch the under side for burning...may want to flip loin half way through the cook [p]Good luck with the loin !!![p]Kirk[p]
    www.co-bros.com[p][p][p][p][p][p][p]