Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg not hot enough!

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help! I cannot get my Egg (Medium size) hotter than about 250 degrees! I have tried both small amounts (below the holes) and larger amounts (above the holes) of charcoal with the same results. I've tried all combinations of bottom slider/top valve settings - having the bottom slider opened all the way, or down to 1/4", with the top all the way opened vs maybe having it closed, or just having the little holes open - but nothing gets us up beyond about 250 degress! I'm really frustrated! we wanted to try this Tandoori Chicken recipe the other night and it failed miserably - I need help, what am I doing wrong? The insruction book is vague, no specifics on how to use the top cap and bottom slider specifically to control the temperature...I'm about to lose my mind!

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    bcaka,[p]Sounds like an airflow problem, maybe the arch in your firebox is not lined up with the bottom vent door, or your bottom grate is so clogged air can not get through. [p]Anyway, drop over and visit The Naked Whiz website for tons of ceramic cooker information including fire and temperature control. Start in the Information Central area. Also download the cookbooks by Bill wise in Adobe format, they are excellent and have more information than just recipes.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Q-Scoop
    Q-Scoop Posts: 59
    Try burning off most of your remaining charcoal and checking the air holes underneath. This exact thing happened to me last weekend (only couldn't get it above 500) and when I burned off the charcoal I found lots of air holes with ash in them. Catherine
  • Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    bcaka,[p]I periodically, take the lump out of the BGE completely and use the shop-vac to clean it up like new. It really takes only 30 minutes or so.[p]It makes a major difference in the way it works.[p]Good luck.[p]Kyle
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    bcaka,
    bottom wide open, metal daisy cover OFF.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Scotch1
    Scotch1 Posts: 14
    My medium is the same, thinks it's cool, all the time.
    The Guru will operate it at any temp. anytime. Otherwise, I must open it up. I like it this way, lo an slo, as I do most this way. Also, it's a good excuse to purchase a small or mini for the sear...I keep telling my Wife.. Good reason to make Eggfest in Mar.
  • bcaka,
    What everyone is saying below is, more air equals hotter temperature. With the daisy wheel completely off and the bottom vent wide open, your BGE has the potential of reaching upwards of 1,000 degrees Farenheit. Restricting the airflow by any method (bottom vent, daisy wheel, clogged air holes, or firebox hole not lining up with bottom vent) will cause the temperature achieved to be less.[p]The other factor is the fuel you are burning. I assume you are using good quality fresh lump charcoal. More is better on lump. Go ahead and fill it half way up the fire ring (the ring that sits on top of the firebox). And make sure the fire gets going good. Once you get a good fire, close the dome and let it get as hot as you want. See the Whiz's site for good directions on getting a good fire going. Using the recipe on the site for Trex steaks for starting a hot fire is a good place to start (and finish).[p]Be sure to let us know if you still have problems.[p]BigDave

• bcaka,
    You are using lump arn't you?? I noticed you said charcoal and this is not the way to go. Mik