Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wokking my egg named cat

Options
char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wokking out tonight for the first time. I just got a wok large enough to fit over a lbge ring. [p]So, what do I do now? Anybody actually tried this at home?

Comments

• char buddy , You should have fun with that. I would throw out the grill, get a good hot fire going and have the food already in separate dishes. Put the wok on, let it get hot, put in a little peanut oil and start stir-frying the food that will need the most cooking. Stir, stir, stir, add other foods, keep stirring, maybe finish with a little corn starch (Tbls.) dissolved in water and a little oyster sauce (Tbls). If your heat is high enough to start, it will all be over in less time than it took to read this. Have a good one.
    Gord

• Csg
    Csg Posts: 17
    Options
    char buddy ,Get your temp up to 400 dome temp. With grill out place your wok on the fire ring. Leave dome open. Let wok heat then add oil. Let that heat and start stirfrying.
    P. S. The first time you use your wok don't be suprised if it smokes a lot. It won't the next time.

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Csg,[p]Yeah, there was a lot of smoke, but it was also a lot of fun.
    Wokking seems to be the opposite of pulled pork. Pulled pork is very slow, long-term and the secret is to do nothing once the butt is on the grill. Wokking is very fast, finished in a few minutes and you have to do something every second. [p]I made hamburgers, then took off the grill and opened up the lower vent. I oiled the new wok on the inside and outside then set it on the fire ring. The dome temp was about 450 when I started. [p]The first thing I noticed was the wok immediately "burned" or seasoned itself. It took months for my indoor wok to look like this one looked after a few seconds. [p]I tossed in some oil and waited for it to get hot. That took a few seconds. I dumped in some frozen veggies and just kept turning them with the wok shovel for maybe three-four minutes. Then I added a bottled "stir fry" sauce to the mix and it was done. [p]The tricky part was getting the wok out of the egg. That was a very hot wok.[p]So, what was the verdict? Well, these were frozen veggies I did just for the practice. There were better than the micro-wave version we usually do. I wouldn't claim - yet - that they were better than what an indoor wok might do. On the other hand even our kid ate them and claimed they were great.