Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping thirdeye - Re: Your Fatties

Options
wdan
wdan Posts: 261
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just found your thread about Fatties. Please tell me a bit more about the meat. When you buy them, do they have a casing on them that you then remove? I thought I saw marks on the ends of a couple of them in your pic. What exactly do you buy? Are these things in the grocer's freezer next to the Jimmy Deans?[p]When you make them yourself, do you just make basic sausage meat but not stuff them in casings? How do you get them to hold together like they look in your pic?

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    a954c944.jpg
    <p />WDAN,[p]Next to the Jimmy Dean's???, man those fatties are Jimmy Dean's. They are in a plastic tube and have the metal hog rings on the ends, and are actually meant for slicing into rounds and frying. They were on sale to boot. You carefully cut the plastic away, add rub and go right to the smoker. They are way more flavorful and moister than frying and they reheat well.[p]I do prefer my own grind, fat ratio and seasonings and yes, don't stuff them in casings. (I package some of my Italian and Chorizo in bulk anyway) After forming the log I wrap in saran then twist the ends to tighten them up. Add a twist band or clothes pin, chill for a few minutes and you have a fatty. BBQBob over at Guru central has some sausage mats for rolling regular size caseless sausages and some recipes too. They may also work for a fatty.[p]Even if you are not into grinding your own, most markets have bulk ground pork. It is better to add seasonings and liquid and let the sausage sit overnight to let the flavors blend and for the meat to get sticky.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery