Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leg of lamb?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a virgin egger. First test will be a 7-9lb. boned (butterfly) marinated for 24hr. leg of lamb. What temp? About how long for med-rare/medium. Chunks or chips for smoke? And, last but not least,the only non-briquette charcoal I've been able to lay my hands on today was some mesquite charcoal imported from Mexico which seems huge. Some pieces are over a foot long. Will that work? Answers to any of above would be most appreciated.

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Bud Jones,
    JJ cooked lamb at Eggfest 99,it was really good.
    YB

[ul][li]JJ'S Lamb[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Bud Jones,
    All that you have to do is break apart the larger pieces of lump with a hatchet or a hammer just enough to make them fit. You will want some large pieces since they burn longer. Mesquite charcoal burns hotter than regular lump and throws sparks, but this is not a problem. I would not add any smoking wood to the fire since mesquite charcoal lends its own special flavor to meat. I regularly mix mesquite lump with hardwood lump.[p]Happy Grilling,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Bud Jones,
    What did you use as a marinade?
    Big Cat

• Big Cat, This hasn't yet been tried on the egg, but it was great on a gas grill. [p]2/3 cup olive oil
    3 tbs lemon juice
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley
    3 crumpled bayleaves
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 cup sliced onion
    3 thinly sliced garlic cloves[p]Marinate leg of lamb for 12-24hrs.