Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken at 325 deg: Results

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Dear Gang,
Just did 2 3.5 lb. chickens at 325 deg - used modified version of honey mustard chicken in "Smoke & Spice" - rubbed 'em up, slathered with butter/worcestershire mix, stuffed with lemons & onions, poised on chicken sitters, & injected with concoction of chicken stock, beer, lemon juice, melted butter, worcest. sauce & spices. Cooked indirect at 325 deg on drip pans filled with remaining injector fluid, & threw on 1 chunk apple & 1 chunk green sugar maple for smoke. Took 1hr 45min for Polder in thigh to reach 185 deg - und - ach du Lieber, was fur eine schmecktbare Huhnenspeise! Results were wunderbar. Rich colored, almost mahogany skin, just this side of crisp; meat was startlingly moist, with great flavor. I'm no pro, but I imagine with an injected bird one could go prety warm with the temp for crisp/colorful skin, & still have moist, flavorful meat. Wouldn't want any more smoke though. Could probably have gotten away with just one chunk, or smaller pieces, & thats probably what I'll do if I ever make this for untested company. That's all - just another report from the field. Thanx to those who responded to my earlier request for advice...ERIC

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    E.B.,[p]Wondering why you use a green chunk? I have always heard that they would be more bitter than well seasoned wood. I never tested that therory since its easy for me to screw up stuff - no use actually tring to. [p]Chicken draws lots of smoke and holds it, I use very little wood when I do turkey or chicken since the lump itself will always add a little.[p]Tim
  • Tim M, Been gone for a few days - just got back - but, in case your still wondering, the reason for using the green chunk of maple was simply because a friend at work happened to give me a section of freshly cut limb a day or two before. Didn't notice any bitterness, but didn't use a very big piece either. Agree with you; don't think it would take too much smoke to overpower a chicken. Thanx for the info re: seasoned vs fresh wood; will take care in the future...ERIC