Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok suggestions?

Options
Bootheel Egger
Bootheel Egger Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wanted to purchase a wok and wanted everyones opinion on what they are using. What type are you using: stainless, cast iron, and how much can I expect to pay. We will be using this inside on our gas cooktop as well, which came with a wok ring that should work either place. Thanks,[p]BE

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Bootheel Egger,
    of all the cookwear you can buy, the wok is the one piece of equipement that you want to go "cheap" on.....the whole idea of a wok is that the further up the sides you go, the cooler the metal gets. . .the idea behind wok cooking/stir frying is being able to move the food from the hot bottom up the cool sides.....i would never buy a cast iron wok, or le creuset, or other expensive wok that retains heats all over. . ..i have a cheap aluminum wok that someone gave me as a wedding gift 24 years ago. ...its pitted and stained, and works great, on the stove, and in the egg. ..[p]i've heard that the 'hammered' metal ones are the best ones around. . .again, cheap and thin walled. ... .don't know any particular brands to reccomend but hopefully someone like sandbagger or chubbby or CWM can weigh in as they are all big 'wok' guys...[p]HTH

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    Bootheel Egger,
    thin carbon steel, the cheap ones are better. this allows you to quickly remove from the heat to allow some cooling if the food is burning, they season real well. the cast iron ones work the same as a cast iron pan IMO. any online store that specializes in woks has the carbon steel variety, i find that the ones with the wooden handle are easier to use, but wont work in an egg.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    fishlessman,
    sorry for not mentioning you in my post. ..i knew there was another big wok guy out there, i just couldn't remembe who. .. .

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Bootheel Egger,
    These work really good in the eggs.
    Larry

[ul][li]Woks for the Egg and house[/ul]
  • bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    Bootheel Egger,
    Try a restaurant supply store for cheap carbon steel woks. I have one with a long handle that I like.

• Bootheel Egger
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]
    Thanks for all the input. Looks like "cheap" carbon steele is the winner!! Sure glad you guys didn't say I needed to spring for the $200 Le Creuset!! Thanks again.[p]BE

• Sandbagger
    Options
    115_1502.jpg
    <p />Bootheel Egger, as suggested, get a cheap steal wok. Don't forget to season it and clean only with water. They run around $10 or less, plus shipping. Check the link below for the Foodtown Service 14" at $7.75.[p]I have two woks: 14" and 16" diameters. I made a wok ring (see pic of Max's ring) that lets me drop the wok down into the fire ring, just an inch or two off the lump. The 14" wok works great here. By dropping the wok this close to the lump you can heat it up quickly and the ring keeps the wok stable. Wok cooking is all about fast cooks at high temps, 400 degrees plus. [p]If you want a ring or instructions on how to make one, email me. [p]We keep talking about shrimp scampi, but nothing better than home-made fried rice. Woked veggies are good too.[p]Tom [p]
    [ul][li]http://www.acemart.com/search.php?Query=wok&image.x=0&image.y=0&image=submit[/ul]
  • Dr_Redwine
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    I am always on the lookout for good fried rice recipes. They always seem to disappoint me; maybe it's just the cook! Anyway, do you mind sharing your fried rice recipe?
    DrR

• Sandbagger
    Options
    chickbroc.jpg
    <p />how about chicken broccoli or veggies for fajitas. [p]fajitaveggies.jpg[p]Enjoy lunch,[p]Tom
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    Dr_Redwine, nothing real fancy about making it except a few points:[p]1. Use the old fashion rice not the minute stuff.
    2. Cook the rice a day ahead and refrigerate. You want the rice to dry out. If you have the time before cooking, bring to room temp by spreading it out on cookie sheet in frig.
    3. High heat, you want a hot wok
    4. Use just enough oil to coat the wok. This is not popcorn. I use peanut oil.
    5. Don't overload the wok. Several small cooks are better than one big one.
    6. Cut veggies in small pieces. Just before cooking the rice, I'll heat up a small amount of water in the wok and boil the veggies for a minute or two to start them cooking. Peas go in water last. I keep a bag for frozen peas in the freezer. [p]
    Most recipes are the same technique, see link. Through my cooking and research, I've found the steps above are key. I've given up on the egg, health thing.[p]Tom[p]

[ul][li]http://www.ehow.com/how_6737_make-fried-rice.html[/ul]
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    Ok, correction, if you have the time, spread the rice out on a cookie sheet and set in the fridge for about an hour, then remove and bring to room temp before woking.

• Dr_Redwine
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    I knew what you meant...
    Thanks,
    DrR

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]Do any of the commercially available rings work in a large BGE? I assume that yours requires welding.
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    edbro, yes my ring requires welding. I can't comment on the commercial ring in a large BGE as I don't use one. Sorry, Tom