Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Thanks DrBBQ, GrateMates and Dizzy Pig

KingerKinger Posts: 147
edited 11:50AM in EggHead Forum
I installed my new grate mates this afternoon and was faced with a timing dilemma. It was 2pm, I had no dinner plan and had to leave the house around 5 for indoor soccer games for my youngest daughter. We planned to be home around 7:45 or eight and figured on being really hungry by then. I did a little quick reading and stole some ideas from DrBBQ with regard to cooking whole chickens.(I am not good at following recipes but frequently steal ideas from them and from what I read in his book he does this too) Spatchcocked the bird (he says not to use a beer can and I do not have a vertical roaster) dropped it in a ziplock with some EVOO and some Basil Balsamic Vinaigrette squished it around some and put in fridge for a few hours. around 4:30 I took it out and cut some slits along the skin and stuffed some Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom up under there and then coated the outside with a medium dusting of the same. Got the egg stable at 275 with Guru and tallest grate mates with a round deep dish stone under as a heat barrier with some water in it. (DrBBQ suggested putting some onions and beer etc in the drip pan but I just did water). Put the chicken in there breast up. We got home and the temps were picture perfect with the breast at 160 and the thighs at 180. I pulled out the heat barrier, flipped the bird over and let the heat come up some to let the skin get crispy. We finished it in no time. I was concerned about cooking a chicken for almost 3 hours but this one came out juicier then the ones I have done in the past at 375 for an hour.[p]JNK (down 192 ounces)
·