Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks DrBBQ, GrateMates and Dizzy Pig

Options
Kinger
Kinger Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I installed my new grate mates this afternoon and was faced with a timing dilemma. It was 2pm, I had no dinner plan and had to leave the house around 5 for indoor soccer games for my youngest daughter. We planned to be home around 7:45 or eight and figured on being really hungry by then. I did a little quick reading and stole some ideas from DrBBQ with regard to cooking whole chickens.(I am not good at following recipes but frequently steal ideas from them and from what I read in his book he does this too) Spatchcocked the bird (he says not to use a beer can and I do not have a vertical roaster) dropped it in a ziplock with some EVOO and some Basil Balsamic Vinaigrette squished it around some and put in fridge for a few hours. around 4:30 I took it out and cut some slits along the skin and stuffed some Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom up under there and then coated the outside with a medium dusting of the same. Got the egg stable at 275 with Guru and tallest grate mates with a round deep dish stone under as a heat barrier with some water in it. (DrBBQ suggested putting some onions and beer etc in the drip pan but I just did water). Put the chicken in there breast up. We got home and the temps were picture perfect with the breast at 160 and the thighs at 180. I pulled out the heat barrier, flipped the bird over and let the heat come up some to let the skin get crispy. We finished it in no time. I was concerned about cooking a chicken for almost 3 hours but this one came out juicier then the ones I have done in the past at 375 for an hour.[p]JNK (down 192 ounces)