Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

Options
AL
AL Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to cook a 6 pound brisket tomorrow using Uncle Dave's recipe. It says to put it on the egg fat side down for one hour, then take it off and put it on a V rack in a drip pan. It did not say whether that first hour is direct or indirect. My guess would be indirect, right? The last three hours it is wrapped in foil, that sounds right to me (this is my first brisket, but all beef roast I put on a pit dry out some, although a lot less on my new egg). Any suggestions? or any other recipe you think I should use instead? Thanks.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    al,
    I really don't know anything at all about Uncle Dave's recipe, but I am thinkin that 4 hours...even with it being wrapped in foil for 3...is just not enough time to break down the tough stuff.[p]Personally I'd allow that brisket at least 10 hours. First 3 hours at 250 dome, then notch it down to 225 and let her ride. She won't dry out like a beef roast, and it will actually become more moist as it cooks. When it is tender to the poke (somewhere between 180 and 200 degrees internal) then pull it off, wrap in foil and let rest in a cooler for 1-5 hours.[p]Just an idear.
    Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Definitely indirect.[p]Also, if you are trying to speed things up, foil can be used during the cook. Mad Max has been playing around quite a bit with a couple-few hours in the smoke, then braising in foil until tender. Definitely a different texture, but a lot of pros cook them that way too. [p]As usual, there are many good roads to a fine meal.
    Happy New Year!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • AL
    AL Posts: 81
    Options
    Thanks Nature Boy