Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Ribs Question

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just put a half slab of spare ribs, rubbed in mustard and sprinkled with JJs rub (which I haven't done in quite a while). I am doing them direct ala JJ, at 220. It is the first time with a low/slow on the small egg. Any tips out there, or things I should look for??[p]I have to pick up the kids in an while, and I will be gone for an hour.
I started them meat side down, smoking over hickory, while slowly stepping up to 220. I figure after they have been on an hour, I will flip bone side down before I leave to get the kids. That way, if the temp rises, or I am late, only the bone side will burn.[p]Any ideas, or am I doing fine?[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Roll those ribs! Put them end around and hold with bamboo skewers. No flipping required. I put them on set the timer and forget.[p]You do not even have to soak the bamboo.[p]RhumAndJerk

• Nature Boy
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I have no skewers that will hold it. I do have a rib rack that fits the small, should I shove that in, and roll em on their side?

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]You can roll and tie them with string. Or use the rack, and roll the edges of the ribs around that if they don't quite fit in the small. [p]Cathy[p]
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    You can eggspect to run 2 to 2 1/2 hours or more at that temp. The bones should be a bit exposed when they are done. If you don't already do it, using the low and slow method for ribs just about demands that you remove the membrane before you cook them. It's a lot more apparent than when you do them at 300F for 1 1/2 hours.[p]JimW

• Nature Boy
    Options
    JimW,
    Yeah. I have done ribs a lot on my large. Just wasn't sure on the small, if being closer to the coals would char the ribs. On the large, since they are further from the coals, I can go an hour without flipping when cooking direct. After I got R&J's message, they had been on an hour with temps from 200-220. That side was already a bit charred.[p]So I slapped the rib rack in there, so the ribs could be on their side, and went to pick the kids up. Worked great. [p]Gave me a great idea! That rack fits perfectly, so I am thinkin I could bring that little green sucker camping, and slap 2 or 3 full slabs on that puppy!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Cat,
    Neat call on the sting.[p]RhumAndJerk

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]It's a feline thing. ;-}[p]Cathy[p]PS Congrats on your pizza successes; your posts on this are very instructive.
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Cat,
    Did you know that someone has started selling Catnip Tea? (Not joking)[p]RhumAndJerk[p]