Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon on the egg

Options
Haggis
Haggis Posts: 998
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For years I'd been grilling salmon on the Weber to that "just set" stage popular in the age of fusion cooking.

With the Egg I wanted to try some other approaches and when the spouse came home with a fillet of wild sockeye I used the recipe from the Dizzy Pig website -- Raging River and a maple/butter glaze. We were very pleased with the sweetness from the glaze, something we'd never had before, but were less pleased with the result of cooking for at least ten minutes a side (the recipe says up to 30 minutes depending on thickness!) Even when I repeated it this weekend and significantly reducing time, I couldn't produce a fish that was cooked more like our favored medium rare and still have the glaze set.

I know there are a lot of ways to cook salmon on the egg but I wondered if anyone has the secret variation to the Dizzy Pig recipe or some other recipe that provides that great sweetness without "overcooking" the salmon.

Comments

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    Haggis
    I have cooked salmon a couple of ways on the egg. Direct over a 350-375 fire. I also try and pick out a cooler spot for the salmon, do it to where you like it. I think that we like our salmon the same way you like yours and I give it about 5-6 min a side. The easiest way though is putting it on a cedar plank. I bought the ones that they sell primarily to get the instructions of how to prep it and cook. After that you can get untreated cedar boards. Prepare the planks and put tem on a 375 - 400 fire on the egg. I think you'll get the results you want leaving it on for about 20-30 min. (If I were you I would take a little taste after about fifteen minutes) Of course whatever marinades, rubs, glazes all work with the plank.
    bill