Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the largest stock pot you can fit in a large egg?

Options
Fearless Flatlander
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have honed my BBQ beans and pulled pork to the point that I don't want to give any of them away. The last hurdel to true perfection? Well, naturally I need a bigger pot. I have the fire ring in place because I cook the beans for 10 - 12 hours; I put the grill down on the fire ring and the place setter on the grill. Has anyone figured out the demensions of the largest volumne stock pot that can fit into a large egg? I have tried to figure out the size through measurement, but I am a measure 4 or 5 times, cut as often as neccessary kind of carpenter. [p]BBQ Bean recipe: Smoke a butt and pull. Baby lima, dark kidney, black, and soldier beans soaked for six hours (enough to fill the stock pot 1/2 to 3/4's full). Combine in a mixing bowl 12 oz of your favorite BBQ sauce; 3 tbls dry mustard; 3 tbls of Tobassco Smoked Chipolet sauce; 3 cups apple cider, brought to a boil; 4 tbls apple cider vinegar; 1 bulb garlic crushed; Maple syrup to taste if you want, or molases. Also needed; three large onions diced to the size of a bean; 2 large cans of diced tomatoes; 1 package salt pork, diced. Anything else you think would be good. Combine beans, salt pork, onions, and tomates filling stock pot to 1/2 to 3/4's full (more room in the stock pot, more pulled pork). Pour in bean goo add enough boiling water to cover beans with a couple inches of liquid. Bring to a boil on the range, Put into egg at 220 grill temp using the guru. 10 large Hickory wood chunks soaked for a couple days in water and bourbon, I use 2 nips of bourbon to about a pint of water. I put 2 chunks at a time into the egg. To get the chunks in I lift out the stock pot, place setter and grill and put the chunks into the coals. (some what of a pain, but the beans take two days from the start of the butt so what's a couple of minutes of tweeking). I put new chunks in when the previous chunks stop smoking. I have yet to get to a point of "Woh, too much smoke." When the beans are almost done (about 8 hours) I add enough pulled pork to bring the mixture up to the top of the stock pot, about half of a butt's worth. I put the last of the wood chunks in just before adding the pulled pork; after that the stock pot is too full to mess with. I keep adding enough hot water to keep the mixture slightly watery, it really thinkens up after it cools. [p]Thanks for any your help. Fearless Flatlander

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Fearless Flatlander,
    One thing you can do, and a lot of folks were doing this so they could vertical roast a larger turkey, is take out your fire ring and place the plate setter directly on the firebox. Then you could put the grid on the legs and pick up several more inches of headroom.