Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-tip question

Options
Babyray
Babyray Posts: 250
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I grill tri-tips as per Grillin Bill's recipe on this page's recipe section. Have all been great. Last two I have done have become a lot thicker during the sear stage, therefore making a larger rare spot in the middle and causing me to think that I will certainly need to grill longer after the sear. Thermapen told me that I had 140, but was really rare in the thickest part.. Any ideas on this??
Thanks, Ray Price

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Babyray,
    How much did they weigh? Stick to 1 1/2 to 2 lbs or cut in half if larger. I had this problem once.[p]Mike

• Babyray,
    Most here will disagree with me but here is my answer.
    Get the Egg to 200 degrees, 225 tops. Slow cook the meat until internal gets to 135 degrees. Take the meat off. Rap in foil. Get the Egg to 450 degrees 500 tops. Take the meat out of the foil and then sear it. You will find the inside at meduim rare and the outside will have a nice crust. Believe it or not, searing meat first and then slowing it down for the inside temp you like will break down protein in the meat making it less moist at the end. Sear last. [p]Chef Jerry

• Babyray
    Babyray Posts: 250
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Thanks for the reply. All I have cooked have been between l.5 and 2 lbs. [p]Ray Price

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Babyray,
    Make sure your thermapen is calibrated right. I had steaks the other night that didn't read correctly.[p]Mike

• Babyray, Try cutting your tri-tip into 1-1/4" thick steaks. With the egg at
    375-400 they are medium rare at about 4-1/2 minutes per side with
    no searing, wrapping or resting needed. Save the low and slow for butts and briskets. These tri-tip steaks are just too flavorful to have to wait a long time for!

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    9b42260f.jpg
    <p />Jwirlwind,[p]I'm with you on this technique. Havin' some tonight.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Jwirlwind, thats my way...And always the biggest I can find and do it all, No need to make steaks for this roast[p]tri_tip800.jpg

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I'm going to set a trap and chatch one. When I do, I'm gonna cook it up just like you do. Those tri tips are like hodags, a creature native to Wisconsin, heard about but never seen. Well, they were seen, even some pictures taken. In 1896 a Rinelander, Wisconsin, pioneer and timber cruiser, Gene Shepard, first sighted the hodag deep in the woods. Documentations of tracks, sightings and some pictures of the creatures were shown to the scientic world for the first time. One was killed and stuffed. Very little is known about hodags to this day except that people talk about it like it was some kind of mythical beast. A mystery in Wisconsin. Just like tri tips.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Yes, I've too have heard of the legendary WI hodags - in fact I understand the primitive hodag migrated south to Illinois and hence became known as FIBs and to this day Wisconsinites still want to hunt them, kill them and stuff them! [p]PS to those who think a fib (a little white lie) is also a FIB, it's not - it's the term Wisconsinites have in general for Illinois tourists who overrun WI and are considered extremely rude, obnoxious and reside in Chicago.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.