Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TRex Ribeyes

Options
wrobs
wrobs Posts: 109
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tried TRexing some Ribeyes tonight and had excellent results. The question/concern I have is the temperature... I placed some good sized chunks of lump and started the fire underneath, left the cap off and vent door wide open. I was surprised to go out and find the temperature gauge all the way around back to zero! I remembered TNW's write-up about flashback and "burped" it several times prior to opening and still managed to lose the hair on one hand. Has anyone else had their gauge loop back around? I plan to check the cal this weekend because I know this can severely damage the gauges and will probably replace with one that reads to 1000 degrees.
Oh, and about the Ribeyes... fabulous flavor and texture... this was the first time I used the TRex method and probably won't do it any other way. I seared for 90 seconds on each side, rested for 15 minutes and then dwelled for 3-4 minutes on each side at 400. Magnifeco!!
Went for the camera for a pic but the batteries were kaput... forgot to recharge them... I 'll get it next time...[p]wrobs[p]

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    wrobs,
    we've all had them go a bit higher than we were expecting!
    just try not to leave the egg alone that long.[p]you might find that 700-800 is more than enough for your sear. you'll use a lot of fuel if you do them at 1000 all the time.[p]i think you'll find the thermometer will be fine. it's not electronic... good old fashioned technology there.[p]may need to recalibrate it tho

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    wrobs,
    i love searing at those temps. . . although it isn't necessary. . .. even with burping you risk backflash. . . wear long sleeves and heavy gloves next time. . .[p]trex is the only way i do steaks. . .god bless jason!!