Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Picnic?

Options
Billy
Billy Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I saw a piece of meat that was labelled "pork picnic". It had a bone. Are they any good? Is it anything like a boston butt? Better or worse? Would I cook it low and slow like a butt? Thanks, Billy

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Billy,
    It is part of lower part of the shoulder, the Boston Butt is the top part.
    Cooks up just like a butt. Some say it has a slightly hammier taste, but I detected only a slight difference in taste.
    Makes great pulled pork.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Anthony Up North
    Options
    Billy,[p]I did a pork picnic about ten days ago. Did it slow (200-225 dome). It took ten hours (I think it was f 4.5 pounder, but I'm not sure.) Took it to 195 degrees internal - then I pulled it as the experts here have suggested. It looked beautiful when it came out, was tender and juicy. Put it on homemade hamburger buns with lots of BBQ sauce. Oh yeahhhhhhhh but it was good![p]Put the rest in baggies and froze them. There is only one left - which means I will be doing another picnic soon. [p]
    Good luck! I'm sure it will go well and you will enjoy the result as much as we did.[p]Anthony

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Billy,[p]Follow me here :). The "butt" is from the shoulder section of the pig, from the shoulder joint up. The "picnic, or picnic shoulder" is the upper front leg from above the knee to just shy of the shoulder joint. IMHO, bone in is better.[p]Both are cooked exactly the same, including timing and smoke. The picnic does have a slightly hammier taste. It also has a layer of skin around the meat with a thin layer of fat under it.[p]You can cook with the skin on and have wonderful results. The skin will definitely hinder the effect of any rubs used. If you remove the skin (one piece with the fat layer - start cutting in the wrinkled armpit :-}) and reserve, you can rub the meat directly. Either cook from the start with the skin laid back on (nice rub flavor) or cook to 160F internal and then add the skin back on to cover (nice rub flavor and a nice crusting).[p]Better or worse? I think you should be the judge of that.[p]Spin[p]
  • Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Billy,[p] I normally do pulled pork with picnic roasts. I can usually find them bigger than I can butts (I'm probably shopping in the wrong places!). Did two 9 lb'ers for Eggfest. Finished product is at link below (photo credit goes to TimM). I normally remove the skin first, but I like to leave as much of the fat on as possible. I rub the thing, refrigerate for about 36-48 hours, then do low and slow over a drip pan with the fat side up. This lets the fat lubricate the meat as it cooks. After it gets finished cooking, I usually wrap it in foil for about an hour with some juices from the drip pan. I know it's done when I pull on the bone and it slips out of the roast![p]MikeO
    [ul][li]Pulled Picnic Roast[/ul]