Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mutant Pork Butts in MO??

Options
Kelly Keefe
Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am starting to believe I'm buying some sort of genetically altered pork butts lately. Other than the very first butt I cooked four odd years ago, each butt was done, on time, and without the stall around 150°. Butt so help me (pun intended) the last two have me confounded. It's been all I can do to hit an internal temp of 195°.[p]Usual set up: Indirect with plate setter and drip pan in my Large. Plenty of lump. Calibrated dome AND Redi-check Maverick at 212°. 5lb bone in butt. No probes touching meat or bone. Put the butt on at 7:30AM. Grid level temp of 225°,steady, dome temp between 250-300°. Should have been done around 5:30, right? Wrong. At 6:30 it still hadn't hit an internal temp of 195° Well, Mama, the baby and the dog insisted on being fed. So I pulled it anyway, instant read the end and wacked off a chunk for supper. (God help me, I finished it off in the oven... I'm so ashamed.) Don't get me wrong, it was good. But what the heck am I doing wrong? And why did we all have a slight blueish glow all evening? Now I didn't actually SEE the pig it came from, but somehow I'm convinced I either got hold of a mutant pig or Stumpbaby is somehow behind this...[p]Kelly
Jefferson City, MO

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,[p]Not 100% on this one but it seems that the colder weather and the dampness of the humidity has something to do with it. I notice that during these colder damp fall months things tend to cook more slowly, at exactly the same setup, than during the dryer summer months. I did a couple of briskets on a WSM the other weekend, thought they should take about 10-12 hours to do and they ended up taking much longer. Couldnt explain that either. I chalk it up to being colder out, the wind cooling off the cooker a bit, colder air being dragged into the bottom vent, just colder in general.[p]I may be way off base here, others may know what actually happened, but this is my 2 pennies anyway.[p]Troy
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    Funny, I just had a 4 1/2lb one that I removed after about 9 hours at 195, still not pull-able, put it back in for almost 2 1/2 hours more, removed at 205 and it did sort of pull but had to use a knife some to chop it. )[p]Maybe too damn lean and it was very lean. This is the first time I have ever had a problem with a pork butt.[p]Just try another one and see what happens.[p]Sorry I could not help "butt" we are in the same boat. LOL[p]New Bob

• sprinter,[p]What cut are you using? I had a similar problem with a shoulder. The picnic went much smoother. Also, if your gasket is worn out or you have the top damper open too much, you are loosing a lot of heat.