Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hickory nuts for smoke

Options
Butch M
Butch M Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have several hickory nut trees on a piece of investment property. I remembered from childhood how good they are, but forgot how hard they are to open. I pickup up a bag full and planned on shelling all of them for a pie, but after cracking several nuts we found much more shell than nut. [p]About that time I was putting on a pot of vegetable soup and before I put the cast iron pot on the egg, I threw the hickory nut shells on the fire. This really gave a real nice flavor to the soup.[p]I was wondering, if could I just crack open the hickory nut open and throw the shell and meat on the fire with shelling the nut. Has anyone tried this. It is just too much trouble to shell the nut. [p]With this in mind, has anyone used other nut shells like pecan or walnut for smoking?[p]Thanks for your insight.[p]Butch M

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Butch:[p]I occasionally smoke with hickory nuts. Simply remove the outer husk and use the whole uncracked nut if you like.[p]If you can find a source for pecan shells (meat removed of course) they are great to use for smoking too.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Do you use the hard part only or the bitter tasting softer dividing parts inside. I'd think as bitter as the soft stuff tastes the smoke would be bitter.[p]Dennis

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    dhuffjr:[p]I use the whole hickory nut, meat and all shell components, for smoking. I have not noticed any bitter taste in the finished product. I do not have extensive experience with pecan shells, but a couple of friends that have have not mentioned any off tastes in their smoked product.
  • TipTop
    TipTop Posts: 7
    Options
    djm5x9,
    I use the nuts (pecans and hickory, and walnuts sometimes), however, the leaves can impart a really unique flavor, for black walnut. Probably will do the same for hickory.[p]TipTop

• Ranger
    Ranger Posts: 9
    Options
    Butch M,
    an easy way to shell 'em if you're if you're not too worried about the meat is to run 'em over with your car(seriously)... there's a huge hickory tree where i work... we sweep the nuts on to the road and run 'em over so the critters can get some"good eats".... the turkeys actually stand there and watch while you do it....apparently they seem to know that you're trying to help them out...