Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt - yield

Options
Meinbmw
Meinbmw Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to do a butt soon .... (9)pounder. How much should I expect as far as edible butt after cooking?

Comments

• Dos Huevos
    Options
    meinbmw,[p]The best I've gotten is 50% of the pre-cooled weight, and the worst I've gotten is about 30-35% of the pre-cooked weight. [p]HTH
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    meinbmw, I normally count on 60% yield from an 8-10 lb butt.

• meinbmw,[p]I had to cook four butts as a friend was having a tailgate party and asked me to cook enough pulled pork for 42 people. I figured 2.4 servings (4 oz. servings) per cooked pound or about 17.5 lbs. (about a 60% yeild). What I actually got was 15 1/2 lbs!! Almost exactly 50% as the 4 butts were 31 lbs raw. That is with the fat rendered and the bone taken out. It was a good thing I had a couple of packages in the freezer to make up the difference.[p]So I would figure 50% yield to play it safe plus you gotta determine, based upon who is eating, how many 4 oz sandwiches will be eaten.[p]Howard