Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

question about pizza, can this be done?

Options
eggor
eggor Posts: 777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have several pizza joints, that make a better looking and tasting pie than i've been able to. Maybe my lazy side is starting to show. But, one makes good pizzas and another makes good calzones.[p]If i were to buy a bunch of them , or if i figured out how to make a really good dough and the right sausage, sauce, etc... can these be frozen prior to cooking?[p]Ya know, just get the egg fired up-pull a pie out of the freezer and throw it on?[p]Scott

Comments

• eggor, Sure can freeze your pies and cook em on the Egg.
    Just wrap them well to prevent freezer burn, and most folks would
    not be able to tell if it is fresh or frozen.

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    chickenpie003.jpg
    <p />eggor, Heres a photo of a new stone. Second time I used it I dumped 1/2 a meatball onion pizza onto the hot stone. At that point all you can do is scramble up the contents. I'm still looking for ideal frozen pizza. I haven't given up completely on fresh dough but am getting close. I use a wooden paddle but so far the technique is beyond my current talent level. I must say I looked like I knew what I was doing with the fresh pie on the wood paddle. It apparently doesn't take too long for the dough to seize itself onto the paddle. Hope you have better luck
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Charbon,
    Did you put cornmeal or flour on the peel before placing the dough on it? I make the pie and take it straight to the Egg. If it has to sit a spell, I give it a shake or two every so often. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Charbon
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,I used flour. I picked up edges and dusted several times. I think I may have gotten over anxious with the contents I had several large meatballs and sliced onions. It may have been too heavy and the short trip to the egg was enough time for the bottom to stick to the wood. Next time I'm going for the flour bath as well as corn meal. Stone now is what they used to call "FUBAR" as long as everyone using letters. Thanks [p]
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Corn meal helps. Make sure you don't slop any sauce over the edge and onto the peel. Will stick for sure.[p]I make it on a wooden peel and use a metal peel to take it off and then put it on the reverse side of the wooden peel to cut/serve it.[p]Toy Man
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Charbon,
    I got tired of sticking pizzas and have a foolproof method now. Get a roll of wide parchment paper and roll or press your dough on a piece of it. Cut the excess paper away about 1/2" from the edge. The paper wont stick to the peel and it falls away after the pizza bakes. I do the same with bread also. -RP

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Cornmeal is better than flour - it's kinda like having mini ball-bearings under your dough. Better yet(IMO) is a pizza screen. No problemo - with getting it onto the stone OR with scorching the crust before the top is done.[p]01-Pscreen.jpg

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Pakak,
    Kosher salt is even better. Cornmeal will burn on the stone. You will never get the Egg hot enough to melt the salt :>)[p]Add just the right amount of saltiness to the crust I think.[p]Dennis

• Charbon
    Options
    AZRP, It looks like I have a lot of other ideas to try. I like this paper one . No off taste and bottom turns golden? Course so far I'm only dreaming of what mine should look like. Another couple of tries and I may just open up the egg and pour sauce onto the stone.
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Charbon,
    I use DiGiorno. It's seems to come out well every time.

• Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    I ask the guy at the Take and Bake place near us (Nick and Willy's) and he said the pizzas don't freeze and cook well at all. I haven't tried to prove him wrong - they use a large BGE when they cook in-house so I assume they know what they are talking about. Haven't tried a home made or a store bought frozen yet. Seems like it's doable.
  • Charbon,
    you need to check out the "superpeel"... It really is a neat thing, a pizza peel married to a pastry cloth. It picks up & puts down the pizzas just like you make `em. [p]superpeel.com