Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

July 4th Smked Fish - Mixed results

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]Actually at the office today doing some work (gads) and thought I'd drop in and see whats going on. I don't usually check in on the forum on the weekends, seems pretty active though. Glad to see that.[p]Anyway, been out of town for a few days, but I have been using my green buddy for some fish and burgers. The fish I smoked I feel that I got mixed results. The salmon was awesome, I knew that would be good, tender, juicy, I could eat that stuff by the truckload. I smoked 4 fillets, about 3-4 pounds each. The family we had in for the 4th all loved it too. I also smoked 2 grouper fillets and an amberjack steak. The Grouper was good smoked but its a MUCH drier and whiter fish than the salmon and was a bit drier than I would have liked. I think it lends itself to cooking much better, smoking it is good but cooked it is much better. The AJ steak was good too but along the same lines as the grouper, its a whiter fish than salmon and lends itself to cooking and not smoking.[p]The AJ and grouper were just rubbed with some oil and a seafood rub that I have, the salmon was done in the salt/sugar/dill method that I use. All of it was smoked for about 4 hours at 175-220. The grouper and AJ were taken off earlier as they were done sooner.[p]So, overall a success, the family loved it. I learned a bit about smoking vs. cooking whitefish vs. oily fish. [p]Troy

Comments