Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Brisket done too early

CsgCsg Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As you know I was smoking an 11.5 lb brisket. I put it on at 2:30 yesterday afternoon. When I awoke at 5:30 this morning the meat temp was 188 and the dome temp was 200. The fork test said it was done and I moved the polder around and it said that the 188 was correct. I removed the brisket (with difficulty- it tried to tear apart) and it is now in foil, a warm towel and in a cooler. Do you think it is truely done. I guess my dome temp must have gone up during the night.[p]Thanks Carolyn

Comments

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,243
    Csg,
    If your fork says it is done, and internal is near 190, you probably pulled it off at the right time. Why it finished in 15 hours I am not sure...but goes to show how every one cooks differently. It will still be steaming hot in 4 hours.[p]If you are not eating it until dinner, it would probably be advisable to refrigerate it, and reheat it for dinner.[p]Well, just remember...better early than late![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • CsgCsg Posts: 17
    Nature Boy, Thanks for the quick response and the reassurance. We are probably eating around 1:00. I will let you know how it turns out.

Carolyn

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,243
    Csg,
    It'll be perfect. Just wait until you pull that steaming chunk out of the cooler and unwrap it!! The smells will knock your socks off.[p]Enjoy!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • Carolyn,[p]Your brisket will come out great. I think it would be wise to not open the cooler during this six hour period and the meat should stay real warm. Let us know how it comes out.[p]Old Dave

• JohnLJohnL Posts: 27
    Csg, sounds like you done good on the brisket. I think thats the main thing, tenderness, with a brisket. When you said you couldn't hardly get it off the grid without it coming apart says it's done. Mine is 10.5 lbs and I just got up and checked it, internal is 168 in the point and 175 in the flat. I got it on about 6 pm last night. I was going to get up earlier to make sure I still had fire, but I think this cook had a few to many Homebrews last night. :) But, all was well when I got up, still plenty of lump and dome temp at 240. Let us know how it tastes. I'm sure it'll be fine.[p]John