Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A oneness experience with the egg. Many thanks

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not being one willing to retreat in the face of failure today's egging attempt was once again spare ribs despite the charring experience of two days ago.[p]Keeping with the lazy theme we used the "Powderpuff Rub" from S. Raichlen's Rubs, Sauces and Marinades - 6 ingredients let it set up in the frig for 1 hour, chucked it on the egg for 3 hrs at 220, added a few ears of corn 30 min prior to the end, basted with Barbara Q sauce also from S.R.'s RSM book, JJ's Q Sauce (our only deviation from the lazy theme) in the last 30 min. and served the best ribs west of the Mississippi.[p]The only challenge was a hot spot on the grill. Is that why the fire bricks? Do they disperse the heat? Can you get fire brick at the Home Depot?[p]Many thanks to all of your help.

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    egg6000,
    That is why I flip ribs every 45 min or so.

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    egg6000,
    The purpose of the fire bricks is to add mass to the interior of the Egg. That way the meat is shielded from the direct heat of the coals.[p]Home Depot doesn't carry fire bricks. Try brick yards or other construction type suppliers. Try to get the thin ones if you can.
    JimW

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    drip1.jpg
    <p />egg6000,
    I doubt you will find firebrickes at any chain hardware store. They are used in woodstoves and in metal fireplaces to line the fire area. Check woodstove stores. Some have found them at brickyards. There are pictures on my website.[p]You can also try another method that I have found much to my liking - its the indirect method with a raised grid. BGE sells them and it allows you to place a drip pan under the raised grid. I think you had a problem with drippings burning - here is how I prevent that - I use this double-boiler drip pan. The drippings sit on top but won't burn.[p]Tim

[ul][li]Tim's website[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    egg6000,

As far as the hot spots, cooking direct always involves dealing with hotter spots. Use them to your advantage, and put the thicker parts of the meat/ribs over the hotter areas. Like JJ says, flip every 45 minutes, and that will help you assess the situation. The grate spins very easily, and often I will rotate it 45 degrees or so on occasion.[p]One more idea for reducing hot spots is to start your fire in 2 or 3 places, so it is not concentrated to the one area where you started it.[p]Your local brickyard should have the firebricks, which are useful when you start experimenting with different indirect setups, and cooking pizza.[p]HTH
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Options
    Tim M,
    Do you deal the foil tightly around the edges? Seems like if you did you would create considerable steam pressure which lead to pop-corn style cooking explosion.[p]Just a thought.[p]B~F

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Bama Fire,
    Yes, I make it tight - but it also has a sag in it to let juices settle to one spot so they are less apt to burn. I leave a corner loose and it steams out from there I guess. It reduces the speed at which it can all evaporate out of the pan. I have done 4-5 hr cooks where it was just a tiny bit left but those are when it sat on firebricks too.[p]Tim