Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best tasting BBQ disaster, help

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well my attempt to become one with the egg has grown some distance. Yesterday, I after maticulously trying to get the rub right making a sauce and achieving beautifully consistent dome temps of ~ 250-275 after 3 hours I achieved some wonderfully tasty cardboard like ribs. The meat definitely did not come off the bone easily unless one chewed heartily. Thus, I come from the mountain for help.[p]Possible considerations for next time[p]1. Ribs too small. My wife made the purchase and simply bought off the shelf. They were not terribly meaty but not bad either. [p]2. Too much heat. Probably for most of the cook the dome temp was closer to 275 than 250. I was proud that I kept the temp down so consistently I believe I could have kept it to 200-250 as the bottom vent was open one half to one quarter inch and daisy was open a crack.[p]3. Left them on too long. They never got to the point were the meat seperated but at some point before 3 hours they looked as though they were edible.[p]Any other plausible suggestions?

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    egg6000,[p]I think you nailed it. Were you cooking direct? If so 275 dome is probably too hot. And small ribs will certainly cook faster, especially if the coals had a few hot spots. [p]If you haven't already, check out the recipe section for JJ's rib technique, which includes sound advice on choosing which to cook. Also, has your dome thermometer been calibrated recently? I find I have to recheck mine every 5 cooks or so, and it usually needs some adjustment.[p]Good luck for next time - it only gets better![p]Cathy
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    egg6000,[p]Too hot, you're correct. Also a couple things - you indicated that your fire was too hot but said the daisy was open a crack. If you want lower temps - then close the daisy. It won't snuff the fire, there is enough "built-in leak" in those tops so that you need to close the bottom vent to snuff it out. Also, you may like the results from indirect ribs more than direct or a combo of the two. My website goes over several methods as does GFW's.[p]Tim - oh, btw - my first batch of ribs were my worst too (and they were wonderful) you'll get it next time.
    [ul][li]-- Tim's Rib World --[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    egg6000, All the below and then some..too hot, very bad choice of ribs. and too short a time..you dried those puppies right out. Good try tho.
    Next time select a meat market. Lean on his shoulder and tell him what a great butcher he is..Skills of a tradesman. And then ask him about ribs, and what would he select for some thick butted extra choice prime baby backs or spares with the gristle soft stuff chopped off. Ask for BBQ contest quality stuff..and if they ain't got meat, why buy em?
    Low and slow...try for under 250F with nice smoke to start, and hold for 3.5 to 4 hours then try to wiggle a bone out. The end ribs will finish first and you can go from there.
    Reminds me..got some old fashioned "country ribs" on right now..not really ribs..just meat chunks from the shoulder butt or close to it. Best I grab a cold Bud and go see..:-)
    BTW..just finished downing ribeyes off the small BGE..other ribs are on the large..Getting hungry all over again.
    Happy 4th.
    C~W[p]