Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

multi-level grate revisited

Options
guavawood
guavawood Posts: 213
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
4509804287.jpg
<p />I thought it might help to show a picture of my system out of the egg.[p]Aloha![p]Greg Kemp

Comments

• Howdy guava wood,
    Very nice indeed![p]I usually do the "bolt two grates together" thing, but I like the flexibility of your setup much more.[p]I have yet to find stainless carriage bolts wide enough though. I'll keep looking![p]Are you putting the second from the bottom grate directly on the fire ring? From the picture, it looks like you wouldn’t have much room for charcoal (and guava chunks!) unless it’s raised up. Could just be an illusion.[p]Off to look for more stainless stuff,
    Bc

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    guava wood, I used to have an erector set when I was a kid. Lots of nuts,bolts and steel but nothing even close to what you have created there! Could you also get improved TV reception if you went up another layer? I'm still stuck on single layer cooks. I may now explore double layer and You
    have given me inspiration

• guavawood
    Options
    bc,[p]Yep...I set the original BGE grate on fire ring. Here are the dimensions:[p]Starting at the top: Weber 14" grate with 3.5 inches to next lower grate. Weber 18.5 grate with 4 inches to BGE grate. These new 2 levels just set in between grate wires and rest on carriage bolt heads. (make sure they won't push through!) The BGE grate has a slightly different set-up...the Weber 14" grate hanging below is 4 inches lower (bottom of upper fire ring that BGE grate rests on) is bolted to BGE grate with 2 nuts and 2 washers like the others BUT the carriage bolts go through the lower grate supporting it or carrying it. You can make it any size smaller than what I've got. The lower 14" grate is for carrying a foil lined aluminum pan for indirect cooking. I could probably put a stone tile there as well if I had one.[p]I don't think adding another level will improve my TV reception but it might make a great "HAM" radio... [p]
    Aloha![p]Greg Kemp