Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp Stuffed Pork Loin?

Options
Ironbaugh
Ironbaugh Posts: 93
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to cook a pork loin tomorrow and stuff it w/ a shrimp, mushroom mixture. Never done this before, it's fun trying new things on the egg. My question- should the loin be cut horizontally and the mixture shoved in or should it be butterflyed and flattened and rolled like Fishlessman showed one of his earlier in the week? Thanks

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Ironbaugh,
    suit yourself, but here's one I "jellyrolled" recently with a sharp filet knife and then rolled back up. I used cashews, apple slivers and raspberry chipitole.
    IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Ironbaugh,
    i like the presentation of the flattened and rolled porkchops, never did a stuffed loin before, however i like the way rrp's jelleyroll presents itself. when i got it cut that way, i would probably want to flatten it a bit with a pan and some syran wrap anyways just to give it a bit of tenderize

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ironbaugh
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Thanks gentlemen. Will let you know how it turns out. Good weekend to all eggheads.

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    try butterflying the pork loin
    brine at least 12 to 24 hours
    1. devein,peel and butterfly shrimp
    2. saute a bag of dried fruit (chopped) in port wine with a good handful of chopped walnuts. Throw in the shrimp for the last two minutes. (they should not be done)
    3. Cool mixture. When cool spread over butterflyed pork
    4. Roll pork and tie. spread with your favorite rub. A little spicey would be good here.
    5 Cook at about 360-375 till done Serve with sauce (below) and listen to the raves

Sauce
    Heavy cream in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add a few springs of tarragon and a chopped (white ends only) bunch of green onions. Reduce to about half. With a slotted spoon remove the veges and herbs. Add tow TSBS of butter. Turn off heat from sauce, swirl butter until melted. Serve under or over sliceded Shrimp stuffed pork loin.
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    Ironbaugh,
    I did a pork loin recently by making a hole down the middle of the loin with a sharpening steel, and stuffing the centre with prunes. When the joint was carved it held it's shape because it was still one complete piece, and the flavour and succulence was excellent.
    Roger